32.0 - raquel pov

I know her even before she can speak.

The night I disappeared, my father frantically searched for anyone to lend him money in case whoever had taken me demanded ransom for my kidnapping. I disappeared and it seemed like the earth had swallowed me into it's depths.

When the man with the soft features threw me in that room, with a cot and a thin sheet, I remember hearing her crying during the night. I remember her screaming when they had managed to make her take the pills they had given me, pills who had no effect due to the echoing cry of desperation so close I could feel it was mine.

What was worse? When she was stripped naked in front of all those men? Or watching her fall like a baby deer just taking it's first steps?

Max says he doesn't remember him, but I know he does because I do. I remember his cold eyes, his empty laughter. It was so easy for him to burn me, abuse me, and walk out of the room as if I was less than human. I didn't know where Anastasia was during this time, but there was rumors of her returning to the warehouse for good.

Max will never forget what happened to him. His nightmares only prove it. But everyday I see a little more of who he used to be and everyday I recognize myself, too.

Seeing her with Harry was a good thing. It meant she had won and it meant it was possible for the girls stuck in that jail to win.

I watched as their hands just lingered, not lacing but touching enough. Max had observed them as well, finding it odd that they seemed to be so naturally connected.

"We're gonna have to move if we want to have pets, the landlord is strict," Max said, rubbing my back.

"Where are you planning on going?" Harry asked with a tinge of uncertainty.

"Close by, you know we can't leave Berlin."

Anastasia frowned, "Why?"

I gulped and reached for my drink, "Problems back home."

She looked towards Harry but he seemed to desperately avoid the subject.

"We like it here," Max said suddenly, "Luckily it's been a smooth transition. The others haven't had much luck."

"I don't want to talk about this." Harry interrupted.

"What exactly?"

He sighed. "There are other... People here who were involved with Zayn."

Her face paled. Hearing his name seemed to trigger anxiety. Harry hadn't told us how or why she was with him, Zayn wasn't an easy guy to fool. But I could only wonder what he had done to her after what he did to us and Harry.

"He can't come here, don't worry."

Max seemed paranoid but I could tell he was trying his best to hide it.

The phone began to ring suddenly, interrupting our conversation. I felt relieved that we could now move on hopefully, and not discuss the reasons why it seemed like we were all running.

It got quiet as I stood to get the phone off the table top. I heard Harry asking Max about work and relaxed, though Anastasia had a lost look on her face.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Where's Anastasia?" I froze, "Do not say anything. Do not react, because you know I won't hesitate this time. I need to know where she is and now."

There was a lot of things on the line here. Max, for one, but Harry and Anastasia too. I couldn't just give him her information but I couldn't let them take Max. I had to tell them and come up with a plan.

They looked towards me curiously and I cleared my throat, faking a smile. "Sure, I can give you the address. You can send it to Wilhelmstrasse 56-59 in Berlin."

The man hung up immediately and I stood there frozen, my heart buried deep in my lungs. "Max, we need to go upstairs."

"Why?" He frowned, standing up.
Harry and Ana did as well, not understanding what was going on.

"Take her upstairs. They're coming."

"Who?" Harry whispered.

"Zayn."