64.0 - i do

authors note: hi im back! Thank you to perksofImagining  a real icon 😭

Dedicated to frannyclouds

Part 1 of the wedding chapters

The car ride home after is surprisingly bearable. Music hums softly from the radio and Stefani offers small talk to keep me from slipping into the void. I look out the window as she speaks, watching the beautiful landscapes that any other day, would have me in complete awe. But today, it all seems rather dull and maybe even forgettable, offering nothing more than something to gaze upon while in thought as we pass through.

"Anastasia." I hear suddenly. Peeling my eyes away from out the window, I turn to meet my mother in law's piercing green eyes. A moment passes before I realize she is waiting for me to speak.

"Hm?" she laughs softly, humor playing in her eyes.

"You spaced out again." she explains. "It's alright. I can see how a boring old woman talking could cause such a thing."

She says, turning to look out her window.

There was nothing passive aggressive about it or even something laced in her voice to give off the impression that Anastasia hurt her feelings by her lack of attention, but that doesn't stop the young brunnette from immediately jumping to apologize.

"Oh, no-- I'm sorry-- I didn't mean to--" she stops her by placing a hand on my arm, lips lifting in a warm smile.

"I'm joking, darling. It's quite alright." she assures her. Ana takes it. "But tell me, is there something on your mind? You have seemed rather distracted this whole morning."

Anastasia's lips pucker the slightest. She wasn't expecting that nor had realized she slipped up enough for her mother in law to notice. But while debating whether to lie or tell the truth, she realizes today would be as good as any to just let everything out, to offer herself some relief she is in dire need of.

"No." she brushes off. "Just sleepy. Last night was... something."

The look on Stefani's face gives off the impression she knows she is lying if not withholding something. But just like the many times before, she doesn't push. Instead, she humors her. Relief washes through Ana, but she knows the older woman wont be giving her free passes for much longer.

"I told you girls to take it easy. But of course, no one ever listens to me." she exasperates. "Tell me. Did karaoke ensue?"

Ana looks at her in surprise. "How did you know?"

"For some reason, those girls always insist on karaoke when drinking." Stefani goes on to explain. "I knew you all would leave the house.

That's why I had to pay off the owner of that karaoke joint to let them back in."
She takes notice of the way she uses "you all". It makes Anastasia smile. ​She considers me one of the girls,​ she thinks to herself.

"Did Lizzy sing Summer Wine?" she questions and Anastasia can't help but feel jealousy at the mention of the girl.

"Yes." she answers simply. Stefani nods disapprovingly, a smile on her lips.

LThat girl." she echoes. "I played that song for her and Zayn when they were eight. It's been her go-to since."

Eight?" Ana questions, the shock clear in my voice. ​Have they really known her for so long? "Yes, eight. Her and Zayn met when they were about seven I believe. They became inseparable, let me tell you. Conjoined twins."