• Chapter 5 • A familiar face

E L S A

My new story wrote itself quickly, within a week I was already on four chapters. If I didn't have my job as a waitress and my short stories which got published in various magazines and news papers, I would've easily written ten chapters. Might I add that it weren't the best known magazines that published my stories, otherwise I would've earned enough just by being a writer. The fact that New York was an expensive city to live in didn't help the matter.

Suddenly my phone started to buzz which took my attention from the computer screen to my phone screen. I was delighted to see that it was Jack.

"Unlike someone, I have a job to do." I teased him when I answered the phone call.

"So I take it that you've finally come up with a story?"

"If you want to know, you should hurry up and get your ass home." I chuckled.

"I'm trying to work as fast as I possibly can, love. Anyway, how are you?" He asked.

"Jack, you call me ten times a day to ask me that. I'm fine but I'd be even better if you were here, you know that." I said.

"I'm just trying to be a good husband, honey." Jack laughed.

"So, how are things going with the gang?" I asked.

"The gang?" He seemed startled when I changed the topic. "Things are...uh..great!"

"Yeah? So what's the plan of action that the Police department in Miami so desperately needed you for?" I asked curiously.

"Uh... they asked me a lot of questions. You know? We're researching them."

"Alright. How long's that going to take?"

"I really don't know, Els. But I should get back."

"Fine. Be safe, okay?" I said.

"Don't you worry, my dearest. You better have something for me to read when I get back." He teased.

For a few moments I just smiled and didn't say anything. I could feel that he was smiling too.

"I love you." I whispered.

"Not as much as I love you." He said.

"You should go." I said.

"Yes. I should. But you hang up first. Yes, you." He laughed.

"Jack, we're not doing this." I laughed. "Besides, I hung up first last time. Don't make me the bad guy again, you're the cop after all."

"Alright, fair enough. Here I go. Kisses! " He laughed and broke the connection.

I sighed. "Wish you were here."

I startled when my phone rang yet again. This time it was Anna.

"Of what service may I be today?" I asked.

"Well, I'm having a teeny tiny problem." Anna said, I heard cars honking in the background.

"Don't tell me you crashed the car?"

"What? Oh, no, no. Traffic's just terrible which adds to my problem." She said.

"What is it then?" I sighed.

"Can you open the shop? I won't make it in time to open it." She said. I looked at the computer screen and saw that it was three o'clock. Anna was closed between 2 and 3 to have lunch herself and clean up the shop. I finished my shift at 2 and had just come home.

"How come?" I asked while I shut down the computer.

"Well, I decided to go out for lunch and not eat in my shop like I usually do." She said.