chapter 9

"A CLOWN!?" Darla, Amber, and Patch asked.

"Unfortunately, yes." Atticus said.

Cherry put her hands to her eyes and shook her head.

"That man sounded like he was heartless." Amber said.

"Please tell me he gets what he deserves in the end." Darla added.

"Oh, he does..." Cherry said before feeling herself smile as she covered her mouth and felt a laugh coming on as she remembered what happened at the end of her and Atticus's circus adventure.

"So, what happened next?" Patch asked.

"Public humiliation..." Cherry face-palmed.

Cherry had tended to to the elephants' wounds and gave them bandages and ice from the injuries they received from Dumbo's little mistake. "Look you guys, it was an accident, so stop blaming Dumbo, he's only a baby!"

"It's still all his fault, he should have watched where he was going." The Matriarch told her.

"He didn't mean it!" Cherry glared.

"I'D JUST LIKE TO SPANK THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF HIM!" the Matriach threatened before wincing in sudden pain.

"Oh, that won't be necessary, deary," Catty commented. "They fixed him good."

"What do you mean?" Giddy asked.

"What did they do?" Prissy asked. "Did they beat him?"

"What is it, darling?" Catty asked. "Tell us!"

"Come on, come on, I demand to know!" the Matriarch demanded.

"Well, they've gone and made him..." Catty sounded horrified. "Dear, I can't say it."

"What?" Cherry asked. "What's wrong?"

Catty looked to her, then her fellow elephants. "A clown." she finally told them.

This shocked the elephants very dearly.

"A clown?" Giddy asked.

"No." Prissy didn't believe it.

"Yes." Catty reassured.

"Oh, the shame of it all," the Matriarch said before raising her trunk with her fellow elephants. "Let us take a solemn vow. From now on: He is no longer an elephant..."

All of her fellow elephants agreed to this, finding Dumbo's reputation he had for now, disgraceful. Cherry fluttered her lips, unsure of what to do or say to that.

"Why don't you go and join your friends?" Catty said to Cherry.

"Get out of here." the Matriarch rudely added.

"Gladly..." Cherry left the elephants, taking the first aid kit with her.

"What is with that girl?" Giddy asked.

The Matriarch snorted in disgust. "Humans... They're so unpredictable and such drama queens."

"Agreed." Prissy said.

Cherry put the first aid kit away.

"How are the elephants?" Atticus asked.

"Despite being royal pains in the behind, they're doing fine right now." Cherry grumbled.

"Great." Atticus groaned.

"Yeah, my heart goes out to them..." Cherry rolled her eyes.

"That's good to know." Atticus said.