chapter 10

After the show, the clowns were going in the back to wash off their make-up and have an evening drink together. Atticus, Cherry, and Atlas then went into the ringmaster's tent to talk to him about Dumbo visiting his mother. The ringmaster grinned as he counted his money. Dumbo was too humiliated and upset to go with them, besides, if they could, it would be a nice surprise.

"Excuse us, sir?" Cherry spoke up.

"What is it?" the ringmaster nearly growled as he was interrupted during his favorite pastime.

"Since Dumbo has made you so much money, could you maybe allow him to go and visit his mother?" Atticus asked.

"Hmm..." the ringmaster thought about it. "Which one's his mother?"

"Mrs. Jumbo." Cherry said.

"Sorry, I've never been good with names..." the ringmaster said then.

Atlas rolled his eyes, he hoped Cherry and Atticus would forgive him for referring to the mother elephant as this, but it was the only way for their boss to understand. "The 'Mad Elephant'."

"Ohh, well, if she can control herself during the visit, he can see her." The ringmaster said.

"I'm almost certain she will, sir..." Atlas said with a cocky smile and rolling his eyes when his boss wasn't looking.

They then left the tent to go tell Dumbo the good news. Timothy was washing off the make-up from Dumbo's face as the clowns were laughing and getting drunk. The mouse tried to convince the baby elephant that this was a good thing, even if it sounded like crude bullying to poor Dumbo who was so far spending his whole life being made fun of and his mother wasn't even there to comfort or support him. Atticus, Cherry, and Atlas then appeared just as Dumbo was being cleaned.

"See? They're drinkin' a toast to ya!" Timothy encouraged the baby elephant. "Yeah, you're a big hit! You're terrific!"

Dumbo sniffled and started to cry. "Then why don't I feel so great?" he then sobbed.

"Alley-oop," Timothy signaled. "I gotta wash behind your ears."

Dumbo sighed and lifted the mouse to so he could wash behind his large ears.

"You're a success." Timothy encouraged.

"We should tell him now." Atlas whispered.

Atticus and Cherry nodded, going for the baby elephant. Timothy kept trying to cheer up Dumbo, but nothing would work.

"Hey, Dumbo, we have good news." Atticus smiled.

"Hmm...?" Dumbo asked as he felt extremely upset, not even his best friends could cheer him up.

"Ya guys doin' what I think you're doin'?" Timothy asked eagerly, feeling like he knew where this was going.

"Yep, we got permission from the ringmaster and he's allowed Dumbo to see his mother." Atticus smiled.

"Oh, that's great!" Timothy cheered himself.

With that, they went to the wrongful placement of Mrs. Jumbo as she was chained down and looked more miserable than Dumbo did without him than he did without her. No parent should ever be separated from their child. Especially a mother and a baby.

"I promise you Dumbo, she won't be in that cage for long." Atlas assured the baby elephant.

Dumbo sighed sadly, but he had a small smile in hopes of seeing his mother again.

"Mrs. Jumbo...?" Timothy called. "I hope she's in..."

"It's us, Mrs. Jumbo." Cherry added.

"Hey, Mrs. Jumbo, you awake?" Atticus asked.