Honestly

"And then I said to him..." Stephanie paused, dabbing the corner of her mouth with her napkin and looking over at her dinner companion, who had barely touched his meal or said two words to her tonight. "Hunter, are you okay?"

She stretched out her hand to touch the back of his, and he startled, as though waking up from a light sleep.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, Stephanie."

She smiled softly at him and rubbed the back of his hand. "I think you're lying to me, Hunter Hayes."

He sighed. Usually he liked Stephanie's intuitive nature, the way she seemed to understand what he was feeling before he said the words aloud. Tonight, however, he was afraid her perceptual mind word read the word "Bethany" written across his face, as nothing else had entered his thoughts all night.

"Actually, no," he admitted, twining his fingers with hers. "I think we need to chat for a while. Will you come with me somewhere more private?"

Stephanie looked a little frightened, but agreed. Hunter threw some cash down on the table, and the two of them rode back to the hotel room where Stephanie was staying. She had flown out to see Hunter, since this leg of his tour kept him in California for a few weeks, and the hotel at which she was staying for the night was lavish.

They reclined into the sofa and Stephanie placed one of her hands on the back of his neck, gently stroking it.

"What's up, Hunt? You look upset."

He nodded. "I think it's time that you know about...my ex fiancée." He looked at her warily, and her posture stiffened just slightly.

"Oh...kay," she answered, seeming to prepare herself for the worst.

"Her name is Bethany James."

Hunter told her as much of the story as he could. He told her about her being hired, their first kiss, the "Tattoo" video, about Amanda's machinations, and about the long road they took to get back to each other. He told Stephanie he had proposed, that she had accepted, but that she had ended up in a relationship with Trenton in New York, and they had broken it off.

He then proceeded to confess that she worked for him again, and that she was now dating his best friend, and that it bothered him, even though it shouldn't. He was aware even as he was telling the story that he came off looking like the good guy, even if he wasn't entirely in the right.

Stephanie hugged him tight when he finished, and he allowed himself a moment to breathe in her sweet perfume.

He pulled back and searched her eyes. "So, what are you thinking? Are you okay with all of this?"

Her eyes crunched together and she shrugged. "Everyone has a past, Hunter. I definitely understand that. I do have one question, though."

"What is it?"

She gazed at him intently, and he knew what she was about to ask.

"Do you still love her?"

He opened his mouth to answer, but couldn't. Instead, he kissed Stephanie passionately, putting to rest the whole conversation. And when the night ended and he held her sleeping form against his chest, he still didn't know what he would have said.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Stephanie didn't get to see Hunter again until almost a month later, when he had finally made his way back to a town within driving distance. She bought flowers, dressed up, spraying on some perfume and headed to his venue with a smile on her face.