High Heels

"Wait, let me get this straight. You're dating your physical therapist?"

Bethany was glowing. It had only been a week since Jordan had taken her to Taco Bell, but Bethany had never been so giddy in all her life. They had a million and one things in common, and the chemistry was absolutely amazing. They had been together, either out on the town, at the gym, or just sitting in at home, every night since the first time she'd seen him at the counter talking to Rae.

She had just told Amanda the story, and her best friend was almost as hyped as she was! Mandy had squealed like a little girl when Bethany had pulled up a photo of Jordan.

"Tomorrow is your appointment, right? Oh my gosh! Are you still going to let him work on your knee?"

Bethany laughed. "Yeah, I think so! I mean, I don't see the harm in it. The only problem is," she leaned in conspiratorially, checking left and right as if there were anyone else in Amanda's apartment who would hear her whispering. "I want him so badly, Amanda. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle his hands all over me without, you know, doing something about it."

Amanda rolled her eyes. Bethany chuckled. She had been joking...mostly. Amanda was still going crazy over the fact that Markob wouldn't sleep with her, and though her wedding night was closer to four months away than it was to five, she was still antsy about it.

"Ugh, that's not funny, Bethany. Seriously. You know what it's like! I mean, when you were in love with Hunter, and Hunter was dating me, so you couldn't touch him? I mean, that must have *killed* you! Sorry for that, by the way." They laughed, the memory long lost to time. "You know what I'm dealing with."

Bethany dropped the humor and tried to comfort her friend. The last time Bethany had seen Mandy had been two days ago. She'd wanted to tell her about Jordan then, but Mandy had been distraught to the point of tears over her situation with Markob. Bethany had urged her to talk to him about it, and Amanda had told her it was a useless effort. She respected his wishes, and he had explained them in full. She did not, however, share those wishes, and Amanda had always been a control freak.

Bethany was glad they'd decided on a quick wedding. She hated to see her friend upset, even if it was about something like this.

Amanda rolled over on her stomach and continued flipping through the bridal magazine. The two girls were sprawled on the floor, half heartedly browsing the latest and greatest trends in wedding decorations and dresses.

A knock came at the door, and Amanda looked over her shoulder for a moment. It was a useless motion; her couch blocked their view of the door.

"It's probably just Markob," Amanda mentioned, getting comfortable on the floor again and yelling, "It's open!"

Bethany heard the door open, but didn't think anything of it.

"So, have you guys...you know?" Mandy raised her eyebrows at Bethany suggestively, and though she'd just been making jokes about it, the insinuation made her blush.

"No, not really. I mean, we've made out a hundred times, and I can tell he wants it, but we've both expressed that we want to go slow and take our time getting to ....that...point..."

Bethany trailed off, her eyes gliding up the couch to see Hunter standing behind it with a box in his hands. His face was cordial, but Bethany had no clue what to do. Should she greet him? Should she explain what she and Amanda had been talking about? Should she yell at him for not announcing himself?

She settled for a teensy smile, one she was sure was riddled with guilt, though she had no reason to feel guilty.

"Oh, hey, Hunter," Amanda said, saving the moment from total ruin. "What do you have there?"