What's Next?

"I still can't believe you took me to a Taco Bell," Bethany laughed, filling her plastic cup with lemonade and Sprite. "Is this where you take all your lady friends?"

Jordan nodded, his face masked in seriousness. "Oh, absolutely. I'm a real big spender."

She rolled her eyes and went to find a seat. They were the only two in the place, so she had her choice. She chose a window seat, a booth in the very corner. Jordan came over and sat down on the other side of the table, stretching out and taking a long pull of his coca cola.

"Look at James, picking a table. I like a woman who can take charge."

Their food came after a few minutes, but it didn't slow their conversation in the slightest. Bethany almost had to pinch herself to remember she was with Jordan. Jordan, her physical therapist. Was it even legal for her to date him?

Then she was even more shocked at herself. Was she really thinking about dating Jordan?

Yes, she was. She looked at his face, the complete opposite of the first face she'd loved. He had a sharp nose, perfect brown eyes, and browner than dirt hair, that was shaggy and hung almost in his eyes. He had a sharp jaw and perfect skin, and he was undeniably handsome.

He wasn't the first undeniably handsome man she had met since Hunter had broken her heart, but he was the first one she had wanted so badly to kiss. She wanted him to ask her out, to take her on dates. The thought was so new and exciting that Bethany almost choked on her soda.

Jordan took a long time to eat, since he'd ordered half the menu when they'd entered, and Bethany poked fun at him about the number of carbs he was absorbing.

When he finished his final burrito, he wiped his mouth and crumpled his napkin in his hand.

"Well, that was delicious. I probably shouldn't have had those last four burritos, but do you really have a boyfriend?"

Bethany did choke that time, the lemon-lime soda almost spilling out of her nose. What a weird way to introduce that topic! She decided to play it cheeky, though, and put her drink down on the table and leaning forward.

"Why? Are you applying for the position?"

Jordan stroked his five o'clock shadow and pursed his lips.

"Oh, I'm not sure...what would the job entail?"

Bethany pretended to look him up and down. "Well, it would mean that you'd have to take me out for coffee at least once every two weeks. You'd have to hang out with me and my friends at karaoke bars. Snuggling is non-optional. Hand-holding is negotiable, but it's also important that you remember that you're only entitled to win 50% of our arguments, so I'd use a great deal of discernment when picking your battles."

Jordan nodded slowly. "Is that all? I would think for such an esteemed position, there would be quite a few more requirements."

Bethany scoffed. "Oh, I was just easing you in, Jorge. You would have to forever surrender your right to sleep on the right side of the bed, you have to always be nice to dogs, and there is a mandatory kissing ceremony every time we see each other. This includes beginning date kisses, end date kisses, spontaneous kisses, long kisses, short kisses, tongue kisses, chaste kisses, cheek and forehead kisses, stomach and palm of the hand kisses, and the occasional jealous, possessive kiss just to keep things interesting. Oh, and none of that sparing my feelings crap. I want brutal honesty."

Jordan took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "That is quite a list, there, Bethany."

She nodded just as slowly, suddenly feeling unsure of herself. Jordan stood, and for a moment she was sure he was going to walk away from her. But he brushed his hands on his exercise shorts and held one of them out to her. She took it, and he pulled her into his chest. It felt really, really good.

Bethany wrapped her arms around his neck, craning her neck a bit to see the look in his eye as his fingers found their way to the crook of it. His thumb stroked her cheek, and his lips landed on hers soft as a feather. A tingle ran down her spine, and her hands were in his hair. It was slick with sweat, but she didn't care. His other hand found the small of her back, and the electricity was amazing.

All she could think about was how long it had been, and how amazing it felt. This was real. This wasn't some rebound relationship, like the one she'd tried to force to happen with Sam. And she wasn't obsessing over Hunter anymore, either. He had moved on, and finally, finally, so had she.

God, this felt so right. She hadn't felt so on fire in what felt like a lifetime. When Jordan pulled away, her eyes didn't open for another few moments, and then neither of them spoke for a minute.

Jordan finally chuckled. "What kind of kiss was that?"

Bethany breathed, "The best."

He laughed. "All right, James. I'd better get you home. Don't want you to miss your curfew."

Jordan did take her back to her car at the Opry, and she got to experience his body pressed against her when he kissed her again, backing her up into the driver's side door. She didn't want to leave, but he drove away eventually, and she had no choice but to do the same.

At home, she showered, smiling and singing softly. She dried her hair, threw on her pajamas, and flicked her lights off before climbing in bed. She saw the figurines by her bed, the little Hunter and Bethany.

It felt so nice to look at those little people and feel that she had conquered her obsession with Hunter Hayes. Resolutely, she shoved his figurine into her nightstand drawer. The Bethany doll she turned towards her. The little hands were outstretched, palms up, waiting for the tiny Hunter's hands to join them again.

But they weren't going to join hands, not ever. And the little Bethany doll didn't look any sadder for having lost that connection. Without the blond groom standing beside her, she just looked...happy. Her hands weren't holding something precious; they were waiting for what the world would hand her next.