Chapter Eight

Bucky's POV

Running parallel with Chapter Four (chapters IV and VIII happen at the same time).

"Oof!" I jerk back for a moment, having run straight into a fuming someone, then look up into the face of Bruce Banner. A face that's flushed red with anger and frustration. Not quite Hulk worthy anger, but still quite angry.

"What'd he do this time?" I ask, referring to Tony. Every time I see that type of expression on Bruce's face, there's a pretty good chance Tony is the main cause of it.

Bruce sighs, shaking his head. "He's just being Tony. There's nothing I can do about it."

I nod in understanding. Bruce and I get along fairly well; he can understand turning into something else, something like a monster, having no way to control it. Clearly the Soldier is a bit different from the Hulk, but either way, I'm glad he accepts me. I can't say the same for most of the rest of the group. Tony is the most uncomfortable around me, which I can understand.

"Hey, I've been looking for Steve," I say to Bruce before he continues to walk away. "You seen him lately?"

"I thought I saw him outside the lab right before I left," Bruce says helpfully. "He might still be there. I wouldn't go there now, though. Tony will probably try to drag you into helping clean up his side of the lab. What do you need Steve for?"

I smirk for a moment. "His girlfriend is looking for him."

Bruce's eyes widen, and he gapes at me for a second. "He has a girlfriend? Who?"

"Her name is Sasha," I say. "She moved into the apartment building across the street from ours. They haven't announced it yet, but I'm pretty sure they love each other. It's kind of obvious."

"Well, good for him," Bruce says appreciatively. "Is she ninety five or twenty five?"

"Twenty eight," I reply, chuckling. "Let me tell you, there is no way I'm getting together with a ninety five year old."

"Just imagine all the activities," Bruce jokes. "Bingo every Saturday night. Book clubs. Quilting. Lots of cats."

"I could deal with the cats. Not the bingo." I grin, while Bruce laughs, slapping me on the back.

"I'll see you later, Bucky," He says, then walks off in the opposite direction I'm headed.

Quickly shaking my head to collect myself so I'm not smiling like an idiot wherever I go, I continue to walk around, heading in the general direction of the lab. Along the way, I make a couple of detours just in case Steve left the lab (chances are Tony kicked him out). Sure enough, just before arriving at the entrance to the lab, I catch Steve exiting.

"Steve!" I call, making him stop and turn around. He see me, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"What do you need, Buck?"

"Sasha's here."

Steve's face falls slightly, sending me into a state of confusion. "I'm busy, actually. Tell her I want to see her, but I've got things to do."

"You sure?" I ask, trying to find out what exactly is nagging Steve.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it. I'll go see her when I get home. For now, I need to talk with Bruce."

"That's who I was just talking to," I mention, and Steve perks up a little. I watch him warily, knowing something is definitely up.

"Where'd he go?" He asks enthusiastically, trying to walk forward, by I reach out a hand and grab his arm.

"What's wrong, Steve?" I ask, my eyes narrowed.

"Nothing, Bucky. Why would you ask that?" Despite Steve's insistence, a flash of discomfort flashes across his face, and I sigh.

"Steve, we've known each other since we were kids. I know when something's wrong."

Steve shakes his head. "I'm serious, Buck. Nothing's wrong."

"Come on, Steve. You're lying."

"I'm not lying," Steve retorts in annoyance. I clench my teeth, trying not to get angry.

"You know that's not true. Just tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong, James!" Steve snaps, and I flinch, hurt coursing through me. Steve never calls me James. Nobody calls me James except for my own mother. Steve seems to notice my reaction, and he sighs, closing his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Bucky. Nothing's wrong, okay? Don't worry about me. I... I just need some time alone, okay?"

"Tony's still mad at you, isn't he," I murmur, and Steve nods, staring at the floor. I bite my lip, fighting back the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry, Steve. It's all my fault."

"Don't you dare say that," Steve says quickly. "It's in no way your fault. None of this is your fault."

"That's not true, Steve," I say miserably. "I killed Howard and Maria. It's my fault."

Steve sighs, squeezing my arm reassuringly. "You know that wasn't you, Buck. You just have to let it go. We can't always be the person we want to be, but I know that nobody's perfect. You need to stop blaming yourself for those things that happened. I know you, Bucky. You've got to let it go. I know there are still people out there that think differently, but you can't stand up to them unless you can stand up to yourself."

The corner of my mouth quirks up into a sad smile. "Thanks Steve. But what if those people are right?"

"They're not," Steve replies forcefully. "And if any one of them ever decides to do or say something against you, I'll help you knock the living daylights out of them, alright? Cause I'm with you till the end of the line."

____________________________________
(Half an hour later)

Holding a wad of paper in my hands, I rush to the lab in enthusiasm, careful not to let the email from Sasha slip out of my hands as I run. Apparently whatever she'd come here to say had been too important to leave for another day, and she'd sent me a copy of the email to give to Steve because he never checks his. I may or may not have read it.

I shove the doors to the lab wide open, slightly out of breath from my sprint, pausing to organize the papers in my hands. I look up, immediately noticing two things. One, the lab is a complete mess. Two, there's a couple of people in here I'd never thought I'd see again. One of them is kissing Steve. Before I can help myself, one word tumbles out of my mouth in a rush.

"Peggy?!?"