Epilogue

Steve's POV

One year later

A gentle breeze dances through the huge oaks, their orange tinged leaves rustling as the wind breathes upon the branches. Between the boughs of the trees, a few stars peek out of the sky, winking at the earth. The skyline of New York towers above the small space of tranquility, but it's so late that even the honks of cars and taxis is minimal. The air is crisp, but does not nip, but rather lays a cool blanket over the city.

Laying on my back, I slide my hand over the grass and feel for Peggy's fingers. Finding them, I hold her hand, feeling the warmth of her fingers seep into my cooler ones.

"Your hands are cold," murmurs Peggy, and I chuckle.

"Yours are warm," I say to her in reply. I can't see her smile, but I know her so well that I'm almost completely sure that she is.

"You do know that it's illegal to be out in central park this late, right?" Peggy reminds me for the fiftieth time, and I sigh in exasperation, though I'm grinning.

"Yes," I tell her. "But I'm Captain America," I joke. "I can do whatever I want."

Peggy laughs, then rolls towards me, pressing her back against my chest so she fits right up against me. "We can't even see the stars, Steve," she notes sadly, and I nuzzle my chin into her hair.

"Ah, but you are my stars," I whisper in her ear. "And you are brighter than the brightest star in the sky." I point above us. "Even brighter than that one."

"Steve, that's Mars."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, so you're brighter than any celestial object in the night sky," I murmur. "Can't you just let me be romantic for once?"

Peggy laughs, a musical sound that rings through the air like a bell. "Yes, but if your romance is scientifically incorrect, I am not going to be pleased with you."

"Well, alright," I say softly. Then I relax, letting my eyes drift shut, and bury my face in Peggy's hair, which smells faintly like vanilla and strawberry. "I'm going to paint you a picture tomorrow," I tell her gently. "And in it, you'll be able to see all the stars in the sky."

I can feel Peggy kicking her shoes off and digging her toes into the grass, and she reaches back and grabs my hand, pulling it around her shoulders. "This is just fine, Steve," she says warmly. "I can see all of my stars when I look at you. Because you are my stars too, Steven Grant Rogers."

I am about to open my mouth to reply, but feel Peggy starting to sit up, sitting cross legged on the grass in front of me. Baffled, I sit up too, wondering if there's someone who's about to catch us, but all I see is Peggy, her hands reaching out towards mine. I take them, a smile lighting up my face, and Peggy looks directly into my eyes, a fiery passion making her own glimmer brightly.

"Steve?" She asks quietly.

"Yes?" I ask, my heart starting to thud in my chest.

"Will you marry me?" Peggy bites her lip, and I laugh in sheer joy.

"Yes. Oh, God, yes," I say breathlessly, smiling so wide that my cheeks hurt. "I would absolutely love to, Peggy."

Peggy smiles back, her eyes twinkling. “I've been waiting a long time for this, Rogers,” she tells me quietly, and I know exactly what she means.

“Well,” I reply, “better late than never, right?” Aware of everything around me, I pull Peggy into my arms and press my lips against hers, my hands going to her head and winding my fingers through her hair. I feel her eyelashes flutter against my cheeks, and her fingers gently trace along my spine. I can feel the sharp contrast of Peggy's warm arms against mine and the cool air against the back of my neck, and I'm aware of the soft grass tickling my legs. Everything is in sharper focus.

When I gently pull away from Peggy's arms, I catch my breath and then lay back against the ground. Peggy falls back beside me, her hair falling in a halo around her head on the grass. I slide my arm around her shoulders, and turn to face her, my breath stirring the hair around her ears.

And there I was, lying (rather illegally) in Central Park, with the love of my life, and there was no place I would rather be.

° ° ° ° ° °

~Ten years later~

I wake up to light streaming through the partially closed curtains, and I turn over in bed to see Peggy lying next to me, strands of her hair sticking up in odd places, and her chest rising and falling rhythmically. A small smile appears on my face, watching her sleep, and I get up as quietly as I can, careful not to disturb her.

I take a quick glance at the clock, my eyes widening slightly as I see the time. Eight thirty? That's the latest either of us has slept in weeks. Our natural alarm clocks are far overdue...

As if on cue, I hear a yell from the hallway outside our room, and Peggy rolls over, rolling her eyes at me.

“Little later today, huh?” She mumbles, and I chuckle as the door opens and our five year old twins come tumbling through, waving their hands and shrieking with delight. Our little boy, Howard, runs directly to Peggy and jumps onto the bed, throwing himself on top of Peggy's body.

Sarah is a little more cautious, inching around the doorframe with a mischievous smile. I pretend not to notice, and as soon as my back is turned, I hear a giggle, and a light weight crashes into the back of my legs.

“Oh no,” I say in mock distress, “I've been attacked!”

Sarah laughs, the bright sound echoing through the room as she clings to my legs, and I reach down, gently prying her away. Her tight blonde curls bounce as I lift her into the air, and she stares at me with her big brown eyes, her round cheeks stretched into a smile.

“‘Morning, Daddy,” Sarah tells me, leaning forward and poking me on the forehead. “Do you know what day it is today?”

“No, what day is it today?” I ask, carrying her over to the bed and setting her down next to Howard, who is absentmindedly licking his own toes. I'll never know why he does it.

“It's your birthday,” Sarah whispers, and smiles.

“Yes it is,” I say. “Nice of you to remember!”

“I forgot,” Howard mumbles through a mouthful of his own foot, and I gently tug his leg. He removes his toes from his mouth, looking at me with an expression of absolute ignorance. Is he actually smart? Sometimes I'm not too sure.

“That's fine,” I say to him. “You don't have to remember, not for a while yet.” I poke Howard in the stomach, and he giggles, his entire body shaking with laughter. He blinks, his green eyes staring up at mine, locks of soft brown hair covering his forehead. I smile over at Peggy, who pulls Sarah into her lap.

“Just for the record, I remembered,” She tells me, and I laugh.

“Well,” I say to her, “There's one thing in the word that I will never forget.”

“And what's that?” Peggy asks.

I take one look around the room, at Peggy, at Sarah, at Howard. “How much I love this,” I say, “and how much I love you.”

The End