Chapter Twenty Two

Steve's POV

On the way back to the compound, I hold Peggy's hand in mine. She'd fallen asleep next to me in the car almost as soon as we'd gotten in; I can see bruises forming on her cheeks already as her chest rises up and down steadily.

Bucky sits next to Tony up front, and every time we go over a bump, I can see his shoulders tense in pain. His leg is obviously hurting him, despite how much he insists that it's fine.

On my other side is Wanda, who is also pretty beat up, with a black eye and a cut on her forehead where an agent slammed her into a wall.

"You alright?" I ask her quietly, and she turns away from the window, nodding, though she looks deeply unsettled about something. I know it can't be Pietro, because she doesn't know. Nobody told her.

"Yeah, I am alright. I just.... I sense something. I do not know what it is." Wanda's eyes narrow in thought, and she turns back to the window, watching the buildings rush past. "I just wish I knew..."

Leaning up to Tony, I murmur in his ear. "When can we tell her?"

"Do it now, Cap," Tony suggests. "He's secured inside the compound. She'll find out sooner or later."

I lean back, turning to Wanda yet again. "Hey, kid, I've got some news."

Wanda sighs. "How many times do I have to tell you? I am not a kid, Steve."

"I'm ninety eight. Everyone is a kid to me," I say warmly. "Look... Wanda, there's something you should know."

"My brother. He is alive, isn't he."

"Yeah," I say, taken aback by her bluntness. "Yeah, he is. How did you-"

"I told you, I've been sensing it. For a while, I thought I was only missing him, imagining things." Wanda looks sad. "But we are twins. I know he is alive. But it feels different."

I nod. "He attacked me today. We think he's been experimented on by Hydra."

"It would not surprise me," Wanda sighs. "I know how much they would give to have an ally like him."

"We'll get him back," I assure her. "I know we will."

Wanda nods, and beside me, Peggy stirs, blinking up at me.

"Hey, sleepyhead," I say, smiling at her. She smiles back, sliding her hand into my leg and moving into a more upright position.

"We almost back?" She asks, yawning.

"Yeah. 'Bout ten minutes out, I'd guess."

"You remember the first time we talked to each other, Steve?" Peggy asks suddenly, looking across at me.

"How could I forget?" I say, my lips quirking into a smile. "Sometimes I want to, but who would want to forget something like that?"

"You were the smallest, most awkward person I'd ever met," Peggy laughs. "But I thought you were more than you looked. There was too much personality to shove into that tiny body." She pokes me in the chest, and I chuckle, arching an eyebrow at her as she grins at me.

"I think the only thing I was thinking during that entire car ride was that I couldn't believe that I'd managed to maintain a conversation with someone other than Bucky for longer than a minute," I remember. "Bucky always tried to set me up with the girls he met, but they'd run off with him."

Peggy's eyes crinkle as she laughs, and she bites her lip, smiling.

"They didn't always do that," Bucky protests from up front.

"Right. Some of them just plain run off. Not with you, just away from me." I laugh as Bucky snorts.

"Yeah, whatever. Calm your panties."

"I can imagine girls running away from you, Capsicle," Tony says, pulling into the garage of the compound. "I've seen pictures."

"Oh, shut up," Bucky and I say at the same time.

"I still liked you," Bucky says, and I nod, smiling.

"You sure did."

"I'm gonna stop you two right here before things get too soppy," Tony complains, getting out of the car. "Either shut up or take it somewhere else."

Peggy and I exchange amused glances. She and Wanda get out and I scoot out of the car after them. Bucky opens the door as well, sends one glance down at his leg, then looks up at me helplessly.

"Here," I say, letting Bucky slide his arm around my shoulders so he can get up. Peggy closes the door after him, following us as we slowly make our way inside. Bucky leans heavily on me, grunting every once in a while as his leg makes contact with the ground. Wanda trails behind us awkwardly, looking as if she wants to help but can't figure out how. Peggy notices, dropping back to join Wanda, who looks gratified.

"How are you holding up?" I ask Bucky, whose face is growing slightly pale.

"I'm fine," he insists as we approach the elevator. "Perfectly fine."

"Truth. Now." I glare at Bucky, who rolls his eyes.

"You sound like my mother. 'Yes, ma, I cleaned my room.'" Bucky snorts, shaking his head.

Sighing, I press the button to open the doors to the elevator, which open right away. "I'm being serious, Buck. Are you okay?"

Bucky nods vigorously, leaning against the railings of the elevator as it rises. "You know, I've been better, but I've certainly been through worse. I'm trained to fight pain, Steve."

Knowing that's all I'm going to squeeze out of him, I let it go, instead turning back to Peggy.

"Is he always this stubborn?" She whispers loudly, causing Bucky to scowl deeply.

"Yep," I confirm, chuckling. "Since the day I met him."

"When did you two meet?" Peggy asks curiously, and I frown, looking back at Bucky, who shrugs a little.

"I was.... what, eight? Bucky, you were nine, I think." I frown, and Bucky nods.

"Yeah, that sounds right."

"Wow," Peggy says, smiling. "I never had a friend like that when I was young."

"No?"

"Well, the girls were embarrassed to be seen around me, and the boys shunned me," Peggy chuckles. "I was a little rough."

"If I might interrupt for a moment," Tony says, coughing slightly, "you all weren't as cool as I was when I was in school. Not even close."

"Shut up!"

......................

One tiny thing before I finish this: expect updating delays. Why? Here's why.

Dear concrete,
I hate you.
Sincerely, a billion iPhones.