Chapter Fourteen

Bucky's POV

Present Time

"Bucky?"

A knock at the apartment door gets my attention, and I look up from my book. That sounded like Peggy. I get up, trudging over to the door, and open it, seeing a flustered Peggy on the other side.

"Hi," I say slightly awkwardly, stepping back to let her in. She steps inside, looking distressed. "What's wrong?" I ask, and to my surprise, she begins to cry, leaning her head against my chest. After a moment of stunned silence on my part, I hug her and lead her into the living room, where she sits on the couch and calms down a bit.

"I'm sorry," Peggy says shakily, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

"You okay?" I ask, beginning to experience a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

"It's Steve," Peggy says, her hands trembling as they lay across her lap. One of them is tinged with dark red. The feeling in my stomach intensifies, and I only notice how hard I'm clenching my fist when the metal begins to creak.

"Steve? Is he okay?" I ask, my voice rising slightly in fear.

"Not really," Peggy chokes out, her lower lip quivering. "He's alive for now, b-but he- he's in t-tough shape." She has to force the last few words out, and my breathing quickness as I stand up abruptly.

"What happened?" I ask, desperately trying to keep the wavering out of my voice.

"He was shot," Peggy explains. "Tony thinks it was Sasha. She might be Hydra."

I slam my fist down on the table, causing Peggy to jump a bit. "That traitor!" I snarl, fury rising in my chest. Then it's replaced by worry as my thoughts turn back to Steve. "Where's Steve now?" I ask, forcing my voice down to a lower decibel.

"Back at the compound. They're trying as best as they can to keep him alive." Peggy's voice is still shaky, but she's steadied her breathing and some of the color returns to her previously pale face.

"Let's go," I say, and Peggy gets to her feet, nodding in agreement.

"I can't lose him again," she murmurs. "I just can't." As she speaks, a spark of vengeance enters her eyes. "He's going to live. I know he will."

....................

Peggy's POV

Steve looks like crap. Still unconscious, he's pale, but his his heart rate is a little stronger. The doctors think he'll pull through.

Bucky and I are sitting next to him when his eyes flutter slightly and he lets out a faint groan. Standing up immediately, I rush to his side, Bucky following closely behind me. Steve's eyes open slowly, the bright blue standing out starkly against his pale face.

"Peggy," he mumbles, seeing me first. Then his eyes slide over and see Bucky. A small smile quirks his lips up a bit. "Hey, Buck."

"You idiot," Bucky says quietly. "You could've gotten yourself killed. You nearly did, actually."

"I know." The grin slides quickly off of Steve's face. "I was stupid." His gaze turns to me, and his eyes fill with so much regret that it makes my heart hurt. "I'm so sorry, Peg."

As hard as I try to be angry at Steve, I just can't bring myself to feel that way. I love him. "I'm sorry too," I say quietly, and Steve smiles sadly.

"You didn't do anything. I was the idiot." He chuckles a bit, then winces.

"Hey, it's alright," I say with a small smile. "We'll work things out."

"Please do," Bucky says, smirking, and Steve frowns at him for a moment, then sighs.

"This is making for a crappy birthday for you, huh, Buck?"

"It's your birthday?" I say to Bucky in surprise. "Happy birthday!"

"Thanks," Bucky says, still frowning at Steve, who grins at me.

"Yeah, and he's not too happy about it, either. Triple digits," he says in a loud whisper, and I laugh, then stop when I see Bucky's annoyed scowl.

"Wait, you're serious?"

"Yes," Bucky grumbles. "Shut up." He looks at the clock on the wall for a moment and sighs. "Is it alright if I go get some lunch?"

"Sure," Steve says. "I'm sorry we can't do anything together today, Buck."

"It's fine. Honestly, Steve. Stop being dramatic. You not being dead is a fine birthday present." Bucky smiles at Steve, patting his shoulder. "Just don't die while I'm gone. Or do anything stupid."

"Yeah, well, last time you said that, look what happened," Steve says. "But trust me. I'm not going anywhere."

"I- I'll stay here," I insist as Bucky gives me a questioning glance. "You go ahead."

I watch as Bucky leaves, the door swinging shut behind him, then turn my attention back to Steve, whose gaze is a bit unfocused.

"You alright?" I ask gently, and Steve nods.

"Look, Peggy, I'm sorry. For everything."

"Yeah, I was mad," I admit. "But it's really okay, Steve. It's fine. And I'm sorry too. I had no right to get angry at you. It is 2017 after all. You waited."

"I want you to remember, Peg," Steve says sadly. "I don't want you to forget that I'm here."

"I don't want to forget either," I whisper. "I really missed you, Steve."

"I missed you too," Steve murmurs, his eyes filled with pain. "We had a date."

"Yeah," I say, biting my lip. "We did." My thoughts fly back to the day that our date was supposed to have happened on, remembering how heartbroken I'd been. How heartbroken I still am.

"I still love you, Peg," Steve says quietly. "I never stopped loving you. I don't want you to leave."

"I don't want to leave either," I choke out, blinking back tears. "I love you too, Steven Grant Rogers." Knowing exactly what I'm doing, I lean forward and put my lips onto Steve's. He seems surprised at first, then relaxes and lifts a hand to my neck. When I pull away, he smiles.

"I love you more than you could ever know, Peggy."

"Oh, I know," I laugh. "And I love you too." With that, I smile slightly and kiss Steve again.

Steve, this stupid yet sweet guy that I've fallen in love with, I'm never letting him go.