Epilogue

Epilogue

4 YEARS AFTER, WORLD CUP 2018

"And we'll leave the studio for fresh interviews with the world cups winners! Take it away, Mila!" I heard in my earphones.

I tried to keep down my smile a little, but it was purely impossible. I had the widest smile painted on my face and I didn't even care about it. I was happy.

"Thank you, David! I can tell you, that the atmosphere at stadium is hair-raising! What a day for Germany, what a day for football" I said, happily, before turning to the side.

It felt kinda awkward, having to interview Marco live with so many people watching, but he had had a massive influence on the game, so here we was.

"Marco Reus, you've just won the world cup, how are you feeling?" I asked.

I stuck the mike close up to his mouth, the screaming around us almost drowned everything and it was hard for the both of us to hear each other. It was a stupid question though; How do you feel? How do you think he feels, but it always got asked. I literally had to ask that.

Marco was just about to say something, when a huge glass of beer was poured over him. It made me laugh a little. Marco wiped the beer away from his eyes, before laughing once again. His little crocked smile melted my heart. Quickly, he ran his fingers through his sweaty and wet hair.

He was exhausted. His cheeks were burning red, he was panting for air. I think, every muscle in his body was aching and every fibre was hurting. But the smile on his face, it said it all.

"I'm feeling great, really! I can't put words on it, it's a dream come true!" he said, I nodded.

"Now it was close between Spain and Germany and you scored the final goal, put some words on that?"

"Yeah, that was amazing! I've been working so hard and it paid off in the end. A very smart person once told me, we have dreams to reach them, I reached one of mine tonight. It's amazing" he said, smirking.

It made me laugh. I remembered telling him that, that horrible day at the hospital.

"Well, look how you started and where you are now?" I said, pointing the mike at him again. He laughed once more, happily.

"Well, what do you want me to say? What can I say?" Marco was so happy; he couldn't even speak.

"Well, tell me how you feel?" I asked, pointing the mike towards him again.

"I feel very happy, this is a great moment for us, the team. I think, we deserved it from the beginning till the end and I thank all the people who supported me, my parents, my sisters, you..." he started, but his eyes got wet and his voice cracked over.

I wanted to hug him, but I knew I couldn't. It made me tear up too, but by taking a deep breath, I was able to hold it in. Marco turned his head away shortly, wiping of some tears, before he could turn towards me again.

"Never mind, let's talk some more about the match" I said, but Marco shook his head.

"No?" I asked and then he had suddenly crashed his lips into mine.

He was pulled away by Mario, who met me in a hug. I hugged him back, completely forgetting about the cameras.

So much for live television, huh. Oh well, it's not like I can change it.

"Can I borrow this for a moment?" he asked, taking the mike out of my hand.

"WORLD CHAMPIONS, LA LA LA LA" Mario sang into the mike.

I wanted to laugh, but tried to stay somehow a little professional. Mario gave me the mike back, before he leaned in, whispering in my ear;

"Now let Marco celebrate this week, then go marry the love of your life after" It made me bite my lip.

Marco and I had started planning our wedding, but so many things had come up; I was send to other countries and Marco had been busy getting back on track; I guess we were waiting for the right moment, which was fine for both Marco and I, but Mario was starting to get rather impatient.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Marco and Mario meet in a hug, laughing, screaming, celebrating.

This was how it was supposed to be.

"Well... We'll get back to David in the studio" I forced out.

I had no time, to think about how embarrassing that was, because Marco suddenly had his arms wrapped around me. He pulled me up from the grow, swaying me around.

He smelled like a mixed between sweat, deodorant and beer – but I didn't mind it – I was too happy to care.

"You did it!" I whispered into his ear, which made him smile from cheek to cheek.

"I did" he whispered back.

I actually saw a tear or two in his eyes. I quickly wiped them away from his face. If Marco started crying, I would too. And I had more live television to do.

"I couldn't be more proud" I whispered into his lips, while kissing him.

Marco let his forehead rest on mine, licking his burning hot lips. I let my thumb run arcos his upper lip.

"I couldn't have done it without you" he smiled.

He smiled that crooked, cheeky Marco smile – my smile. Once again, Mario pulled him away from me. I didn't mind much, it was their time to celebrate.

I was just glad, I could watch him be so happy. After what happened at the 2014 world cups, he had been working non-stop for this and now it had paid off.

I let my eyes run over the pitch, watching wives and kids, hug their dad or husbands. My eyes caught Erik, who was hugging Loren. He had this expression on his face – an overly happy one – which I had never seen before.

I had never been able to make that appear on his lips. Marco's arms ran cross my stomach, as he hugged me from behind. He let his chin rest on my collarbone.

"You regret that's not you?" he asked.

I knew, he was referring to Erik. I shook my head.

"No. He is happy, you are happy, I am happy" I whispered.

I tilted my head to the side, meeting Marco's shinning eyes. I placed a short kiss on his neck.

"That's all I ever wanted. All of us to be happy, and you make me very happy" I smiled, as Marco stole a kiss from my lips.

"And you, make me happy" He smiled back.

"There's one thing that would make me even happier" I whispered, biting my under lip.

Marco raised his eyebrow, as I let my hands slip around his neck.

"And what is that?"

"To finally be Mrs. Reus" I whispered, actually blushing.

Why I couldn't quite figure out. A huge smile ran across Marco's face; it gave me butterflies.

"I can make that happen-" he whispered, licking his lips. Slowly, he left his lips slide up to my ear. "How does a beach wedding in Greece sound? We'll bring the people closest to us. No rush, no stress"

"I'm in" I whispered as his lips touched mine.

With my hand behind Marco's neck, I pulled him a little further into the kiss.

"Good. Now go celebrate, Mr. World Cup winner" I whispered in between his lips.

In that moment it hit me. Sometimes two people have to fall apart, to truly realize how much they need to grow back together. I have always wondered, what the difference between the love of your life and your soulmate is. I know now, that one is a choice and one is not. It was Marco, it had always been Marco. It wasn't a choice; it was just the way it was. I choose Marco. And I'll always choose him, over and over and over again. Without a pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat and forever, I'll keep choosing him, over and over and over again. And just like that, we were back to the beginning. And we had our entire life in front of us.