Chapter 7 - Jaxon

"Give me an Ale on the tap and two bourbon whiskey's!" Lucas shouts at me over the commotion at the bar. I set out three glasses and fill them with their respective drinks until the froth reaches the very edge of the rim, then slide them down the countertop where they slow down directly in front of him.

"Nice glide," He smirks at me and I tip my chin at him in acknowledgement to his compliment. Since getting fired from the thrift shop I started taking more shifts at the bar and realized night shifts made the best tips. It fucked my sleep schedule even more but the pay made up for it. I'd become more efficient in my bartending skills and our manager wanted to put me in charge of more shifts because of it. Definitely not a problem for me.

Wiping down the smudges of water derived from the condensed glasses, I throw the dish rag over my shoulder and move on to the next customer. And my heart actually fucking skips a beat.

Emily is sitting on one of the bar stools looking lost in thought and completely unaware of anything around her. She doesn't even realize how fucking beautiful she is but the men around her certainly do. They blatantly check her out, eyes roaming over her body hungrily. My hands tighten into fists and I'm tempted to punch their eyes out. I don't know why the urge comes to mind nor do I have the right but shit, I'm not liking all those eyes on her. Just because I don't blame them doesn't mean it justifies my anger towards their actions.

She's dressed in clothes that showcase her curvy figure to perfection, that skirt doing incredible things for her ass and her top hinting at the barest of cleavage. Her makeup is simple but fuck, those red lips stir up boiling lust in my veins and it's all I can do to stop myself from leaning across the counter and slamming my mouth to her lush one. I feel my body reacting to my thoughts and, at this rate, I'm convinced my dick will stay permanently hard around her. I see a guy approaching from behind her, eyes pinned to her ass, and I take a step forward while shooting daggers at him. He sees the warning clear on my face and halts before fearfully walking away.

That's right, motherfucker.

I stand in front of her so that no other guy even tries to come near. She still hasn't noticed me so I finally speak up.

"Ready to order?" I ask.

Emily visibly jolts out of her thoughts and I see the clear surprise on her face when she sees me. Her eyes quickly run over my body and my chest puffs out involuntarily. Jesus, I'm acting like such a douche. Why do I feel the need to impress her? More than that, I'm actually glad to see her and I honestly don't have an explanation for that. Maybe because I'd run out on her so quick the other day that I didn't get my fill.

"You work here?" She asks and I tilt my head at the obvious question. She immediately groans and the sound rages hot fantasies of other ways I can get her to do that.

"Really?" I question blandly and force myself under control.

"Yeah," She agrees with a nervous laugh. "Stupid question."

"How about just sticking to answering mine?" I say and mentally wince. That came out rude.

"Can you not be an asshole for like two seconds?" She snaps, eyes narrowing at me. I have to fight the urge to grin. I really like her fiesty side.

"I honestly don't think I can." I deadpan and she regards me for a few seconds before her lips quirk up into a reluctant smile. This, of course, brings my attention to her mouth and I swallow harshly. Fuck, I really want to kiss her. I should've done it in the locker room before everything went to shit.

"Nice lipstick." I tell her and my voice comes out raspier than normal. I hear her inhale sharply and bring my eyes back to hers. There's shock and confusion and...desire? Interesting.