Chapter 24 - Emily

"It's a party for a five year old!"

"So you can't look good?"

"I can't look look slutty." I hiss.

Avery frowns, fingering the tight material that ends way too high above my knee and dangerously low near my chest.

"But it's cute." She argues.

"And I'll wear it for a more special occasion but not for Lizzie's birthday."

"Fine." She relents then pouts at her own dress. It's a hot red number made of silk material that's designed as a wrap dress. It encases her Latina figure perfectly and holds up with a knot tied to the side. Similar to mine, it ends above her knee but at a more appropriate height than mine and the neckline is also much more appropriate, the sleeves reaching to her elbows. My best friend is beyond stunning. "Does that mean I have to change too?"

"No, babe." I chuckle. "You look fantastic and it's totally your style."

She squeals and claps her hands. Avery loved dressing up and being put together at all times, as the fashionista in her called for. She proves as much when she pulls out another dress from her closet; a beautiful deep purple maxi dress that flutteres around my knees everytime I take a step and is held up by thin spaghetti straps. Avery insisted that the colour bought out the hues of hazel around my blue eyes.

"Jaxon is going to trip over himself when he sees you." She declares with animated glee.

I look at my reflection when Avery moves out of the way and is done fussing over my hair and makeup. She's styled my hair so that it's pin-straight and the ends are literally brushing my ass, long as it is. My eyeshadow is as bold as my eyeliner and the layers of mascara frame my eyes so that they look huge. She's contoured my face so that it looks far more angular than it actually is and the deep shade of rustic pink on my lips completes the entire look. Avery did a spectacular job and I have to admit, I'm excited to see my man's reaction to me.

I didn't even have to tell Avery about the development in our relationship when I'd come over earlier to get ready for Lizzie's birthday party. She took one look at my glowing face and barely restrained smile and simply said his name in question. My smile peeked out at the mere mention of him against my own will and that's all the confirmation Avery needed. I know Jaxon and I were still new, a little over a week since he spent the night at my house, and I know we were still laying low but I couldn't keep this from Avery. I hoped like hell he didn't mind that she was in on our change. Though I'm sure he wouldn't be because he was kind enough to extend an invitation towards her, insisting that my best friend be there for this occasion. Jaxon has always had Avery's vote and that gesture sealed the deal.

"I still can't believe I haven't actually met him in person." She muses.

"You're right," I realize with a laugh.

"If he's as hot as the pictures I've seen, then you are one lucky woman." She smack my ass and my lips tip up in amusement. She's right.

"And we can see Delilah, too." I've missed her as well.

"Oh, yeah." Avery's face lights up. "Man, I love that chick. I don't like a lot of people but one lunch with her and I wanted to keep her."

"I know, right?" I say in all seriousness.

Avery grabs her car keys and struts out of the room, not once teetering in her sky high heels. I have to walk around the room to break her shoes in and figure out how to balance them before I leave to join her.

"Grab her present!" She hollers from the front door and I curse before turning back.

When I've got her present and join Avery in her car, I rattle off Cameron's address and we set off. That charmer had been kind enough to offer to do Lizzie's party there since he lives in a house equipped with a sizeable backyard. Cameron loves the hell out of that little girl and it's majorly endearing that he wants to do this for her and Jaxon.