Fourteen: Talia

"Hey Talia," Nicole said, coming back into the house after an evening run to the bathrooms, "by any chance were you approached by a girl when you went outside awhile ago?" We'd finished supper, and Mom was preparing for bed in the other room, just out of earshot.

Silently, I nodded. "And," Nicole continued, "did she say anything about..." Mid sentence, she leaned in close. "...a rebellion?" Again I nodded wordlessly. I didn't want Mom to hear in the other room. She wouldn't understand, and that ignorance could make things difficult.

"I already know what your response was," Nicole whispered.

I averted my eyes, afraid of being ratted out. Instead, Nicole gave a small smile. "I said yes too," she told me.

My whole body relaxed. "Really?" I asked, in disbelief. She had to be kidding. Nicole was a leader, not a follower, so it struck me as odd that she'd said yes. At least I would have support in going--there was no way Mom would let me go to the meetings alone. It was too dangerous to be a lone teenage girl walking around in our area, even when there was daylight.

"Hell yeah," she declared. "I mean, honestly, I've been waiting to do something worthwhile since we got back. And you know how I hate him. It would kill two birds with one stone, and you know I'm all for efficiency."

"He has a name, you know," I informed her. "And were all those things that you did to us on the island really efficient? I mean..."

"Look, I told you I was sorry," Nicole argued, the atmosphere suddenly charged. "I can't do anything now. I've been trying to repay you for the last few months. I am right now."

I sighed. Of course she was trying. I couldn't blame her for what had happened on the island--I was just as much at fault. It was time for me to start moving on.

"Yeah, yeah," I agreed. "It's ok. We can do this together. I don't care what your reasons are for joining, it's nice that you did." Nicole beamed. I knew I should be happy, but then why was there a knot in my stomach?

. . .

When the meeting day finally came, Nicole and I made up an excuse to get out of the house and followed Fox's directions to get to the warehouse on sixth street. It was easy to find, a huge, solitary building constructed of cheap metals and in rough shape, with slanting, rusting sides. Glass was missing from the windows, and weeds poked through the cracks in the sidewalk and abandoned parking lot beside it. At one point, apparently, everyone had cars and hovercars that they could drive themselves instead of taking a taxi. Now, no one did, so the lot was always empty and so was the warehouse, the city not having the funds to maintain them.

A beefy girl with triple-pierced ears and sunglasses stood guard at the doorway. "Names?" she asked, sounding bored, as we approached. Her feet absentmindedly picked at shards of glass on the sidewalk.

Nicole nodded and said, "Nicole and Talia--" The guard waved us through the doorway, and we didn't hesitate.

The inside of the warehouse, even though we were a bit early, was buzzing with activity. There were people everywhere, ranging from about twelve-year-olds to people that looked only a few years younger than Mom. Different age groups were mingling together loudly, though everyone looked very stern. Rows of mismatched chairs were set up facing an elevated platform, where I saw Fox talking to a muscular boy with short, dark hair that looked to be about the same age as her. I waved to her, but she didn't seem to notice. She was paying too much attention to the guy.

"Is that Fox over there?" Nicole asked. She had to shout over the din.

"Yeah," I confirmed.

"Who's that guy with her?" she wondered.