Chapter The First

First of all, I want to give a massive shout out to Ann_Annie. She has a whole series of Beatle time travel stories, and it was by reading them that I got that first spark of an idea. So yeah, thanks, Ann!

Second, what is the point in a disclaimer? Psssh, yeah, I totally own The Beatles. Pffft, yeah, this a 100% true account of actual happenings. Sure...

It had been almost seven years. Seven years since her life did a barrel roll and flipped head-over-heels downhill. Seven years since the day that those dearest to her were lost forever.

Jessie lay on her bed in the dimly lit room, head at the wrong end, feet propped up against the headboard. There were five other beds, all made immaculately with pastel sheets and blankets, and a thin rug on the floor space between each one. Jessie had the bed by the window. She'd slept there every night since the day she was shown into the dorm as a scrawny little eight year old.

This was one of the rare times she had the room to herself. Everyone else was in the dining hall, partying. Twice a year, the student council of Thornleigh, a large mixed boarding school in the outskirts of Liverpool, organised a social. It was a chance for the girls and boys to be themselves and have a bit of fun. Jessie couldn't care less. If she wanted to be herself, then she wanted to be by herself. As far as they were concerned, she was that unwanted kid with the accent. As far as she was concerned, her Aunt hadn't sent her to a fancy boarding school, she'd sent her to Hell. Apparently Hell was full of arrogant little English pricks with ties and pressed blazers.

As the rain drummed on the window-pane, Jessie tapped out a steady beat.

Lucky seven's what they say. Seven'll send your troubles away. It's just a number that doesn't count.

My troubles are here to stay.

Lucky seven's what they say. Seven'll take your worries away. Seven adds to no amount.

My worries are here to stay.

She rolled off the bed, pulling the powder blue blanket to the floor with her, and pulled her guitar out from under the bed. She sat on the rug and traced the verse on the fogged up glass. Staring vacantly out the tall window, eyes flickering to the words now and then, she tried the song again, this time strumming a few simple chords. The glass steamed up again as she let a long puff of air out her nose, the lyrics quickly growing fainter. No matter, she'd remember them.

She wiped a clear patch with her sleeve and couldn't help eyeing the small girl in pyjamas looking back at her. Light brown hair hung at her shoulders in damp strands. Jessie reached up and tucked her own hair back behind her ears. The figure in the window did the same. Bright, inquisitive eyes set in a small round face seemed to stare into the deepest reaches of her soul. They were a difficult colour to define. They were green, but not quite. They were a dark shade, almost passable as brown, with a greyish ring around the iris. Jessie blinked, and knew the girl in the window blinked too.