Chapter The Seventh

An amazing thing called an 'artistic licence' lets me pretend that they recorded some songs a little later than they actually did, and that they recorded in Liverpool instead of London. :) Please don't eat me!

"Hang on..."

The lads all walked a little faster down the road. Unfortunately, they couldn't get a closer parking space. Ringo nudged Jessie ahead of him. "I hope ye' can run, Jessie." He muttered.

"It's the Beatles!" A group of young ladies screamed out, starting to chase after them.

"Not again!" George groaned. "I just ate!"

They sprinted down the pavement. The studio wasn't far. They could make it.

Jessie was gasping for breath, her legs had to work twice as fast to keep up, and she was still getting used to being more than a foot shorter than usual. On top of that, John's old shoes she was wearing were a bit too big, and she kept scuffing her toes.

Then she tripped.

Jessie hit the ground hard, yelling as she grazed her elbow and both knees. She rolled over and froze in awe at the crowd of wild fans bearing down on her. She closed her eyes and curled into a ball, anticipating the inevitable trampling. Then she suddenly felt a strong pair of arms snatch her from the ground. She opened her eyes and found herself staring at the back of John's fair head. She almost laughed. John Lennon was giving her a piggyback ride. The John Lennon.

He skidded into the building and Paul slammed the door shut behind them. John bent down and let Jessie slide off his back. He saw her examine the blood trickling down her legs. Oh shit, he thought, she's gonna cry.

But she didn't.

Jessie sucked air through her teeth as she licked her thumb and wiped her grazes. It stung. "That didn't quite go as planned, eh?" She smiled wryly.

George looked at John and briefly raised an eyebrow as if to say, 'See. I said she was different.'

A man appeared in the corridor. "Lads! You made it!" He rushed up to them. "I'm sorry I couldn't meet with you earlier, I was a bit held up."

"Don't worry 'bout it, Bri." John grinned. "You can count on us." He paused. "...most of the time."

Then Brian saw Jessie. "Whose kid is that?" He asked slowly. "And why is he here?"

"She's Ringo's." Paul answered. "Sort of."

"Please Brian!" Ringo said. "She got no decent home t' stay at. We're just lookin' after 'er for a while. But ye' can't just leave a little kid home alone!"

The manager of the Beatles shook his head firmly. "No, no. We can't have a kid hanging about. She'll get in the way."

Ringo was about to protest, but then Jessie cleared her throat. "Please, Mr Epstein. I'll stay out of the way. I promise."

Brian was slightly taken aback by her polite and formal tone. He ran his fingers through his hair. "Well... Alright. Just stay out of trouble." He pointed at the lads, "One problem, and she's out of here."

The boys nodded solemnly, then grinned at each other. But there was still one thought nagging Ringo. But we never mentioned his last name... Of course, if she knew of the Beatles, then there was a chance she'd know of their manager. But he still wasn't convinced. Kids like her just cared about the band and music, not managers.