English

I remember my first day at the School. No, for those interested it was not called "School," that'd be stupid. It was called "High School." It was a drab (drab is such a weird word) day. You know, one of those days where everything is boring and it's foggy outside. Yeah, one of those. I was escorted into class by the principal. He only spoke to me like, once. It was when he introduced himself. He said, "Hello. I'm Mr. ---. I'm the principal here." And no, his name was not "Mr. ---." I just was honestly not paying attention when he introduced himself. I was highly distracted by his neon green tie with little blue camels on it. Who wears tie like that? When we got to the English classroom he opened the door, ushered me in, then closed the door and left. What a nice guy. The teacher looked at me and instantly gave me ginormous smile. Ew. He put his hand on my shoulder and turned to introduce me to the class. Ew.

"Class, this is Summer, she'll be with us for a couple of months," he beamed at them and only a couple smiled back. Pause. No, I wasn't going to the school for a couple months, then going back to my old school, that'd be weird. He said a couple, because I came in the second half of the years so there only a couple months left in the school-year. I looked around the room and saw that every desk had a name plaque on it (paper, not gold. That'd be stupid). I saw that there was an empty desk with my name on it. Literally. I read the names of the people who sat beside me. Lukas Bondevik and Antonio Fernandez Carriedo. Side note. This was an international school, so some names are really weird. I knew there was no way I would remember the entire name of that Antonio kid. I walked over to the empty desk and plopped down. Antonio gave me a smile and I gave the faintest of smiles back. Lukas ignored me completely. After a couple of minutes it was clear that this class was on a play unit. Meaning we would read a play. Out loud. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking, but it was probably something along the lines of, "Crap. This class is on a play unit. Meaning we'll read a play. Out loud." The teacher, who turned out to be Mr. Landon (For some reason his last name was a first name), had started to pass out a booklet. When I got mine I read the title: Of Heroes and Villains. I wasn't and I'm still not impressed with the title. I looked around. My thoughts? "I'm new so I don't have to read, right? Right?!" Panic had quickly set in. Panic at a school, not at a disco. A hand shot up in the front of the classroom. Mr. Landon looked at the guy.

"Yes, Mr. Jones?" When Mr. Landon spoke there was a trace of annoyance in his voice.

"Can I be the hero?" The guy who raised his hand (that's a mouthful) asked. The entire class groaned in unison. I looked over at Antonio with confusion. I asked Antonio only because he smiled at me. That Lukas guy was creepy. His (Antonio, not Lukas. Obviously.) green eyes laughed as he spoke.

"Alfred is always trying to be the 'hero,'" Antonio explained. I smirked and Antonio smiled back. At that point I had no idea that he would soon become my best friend. But now I know...because we're best friends. I just didn't know at the-you know what? This is going nowhere. Nevermind. The guy on my right, Lukas, seemed like a really quiet (and creepy) guy. I never heard him talk once throughout the entire class (or out of class). Mr. Landon started to write on the board. It was a list of names. I soon realized that he was casting the play. I realized this because I can read and I'm not stupid. I read the list. I did this, because I can read and I'm not stupid.

Lukas Bondavik- Charlie Williams, the main character; Summer Blacard- Kat August, Charlie's best friend; Sadık Adnan- Dick Martin (at which someone stage whispered, "You've got that name right"), another friend, interested in Kat; Ivan Braginski- Grant Riddle, the villain; Lovino Vargas- Andrew Surrgard, Riddle's assistant. The list ended there. That couldn't be it (but it was). I looked through the booklet (the play) Mr. Landon had given me. Those were the only roles, besides a few minor parts. Our teacher turned to us with a slight smile on his face.

"Some of you may think I have made a mistake, but I assure you I have not. I chose this play with so little roles to test the abilities of Miss Blacard," he told the class. Did he want me to embarrass myself?! I later found out that he was, in fact, trying to be nice, but I still felt like I was about to die. Thanks Mr. Landon. I sank low in my chair when everyone looked at me; some of them were giving me death stares (spotlight hogs). It was going to be a long half a year (and it was, believe it or not).