Prologue

Check Author's Note At The End =) !

---

I scrutinized the recently made corpses on the floor. To be safe, I stooped down by each corpse and laid my index and middle finger on the cold flesh of the corpse's neck, to make sure I couldn't detect their pulse. I didn't want any one of these bastards surviving. It'd cause me too much trouble to track them down all over again - it had been hard enough the first time. 

Across the room, I gazed guiltily at the young boy I had been forced to shoot. That poor dimwit. I had asked him politely to exit the room and not enter no matter what he heard. He hadn't listened. It was against my personal policy to kill children and pregnant women, but it had been necessary for this occasion. I approached the boy's body to make sure he was dead. I didn't want him living either. I crouched over the boy's body and shook my head in regret as I closed his horrified dull eyes that hadn't fully realized he had just died. However, I couldn't help but admire the clean shot I had inputed straight through his heart. It had been a painless kill. He should be grateful. 

I rose and began heading for the door, sparing the room one last cautious glance behind my shoulder. I had an odd feeling that I was missing something, that something was out of place. I tried shaking off that feeling by shaking my head like a dog does when it's drying itself out as I strode out through the door.

My mission was complete, and had gone by flawlessly, with the young boy being a small exception. It had been fairly easy. My employer required that I eliminate the Oliver family, a family of 10, and it was done. I had effortlessly charmed one of the young chaps into inviting me to their dinner and, before they could fully comprehend it, I had them all eliminated. I didn't need to know the details of why they deserved to die, I just needed the money. 

Just before I exited the mansion, I stalled. The family was dead. Therefore leaving all their possession behind. Therefore leaving them unguarded. And therefore leaving me to have it all to myself. I grinned with my sudden realization, turned on my heel and began skipping up the stairs to where the bedrooms most likely lay. 

The manor's servants were all busy attending to the dinner, so it'd take them awhile to figure out that their master's were dead and that the manor itself had just been robbed. I began humming* a tune, a tune that I couldn't find the name of and that other's somehow didn't know of. I always hummed it absently to myself or when I had nothing better to do. The sweet melody of the song mingled with my soprano voice swirled around my ears as I began skimming each of the rooms on the second floor.

The first room appeared to have belonged to the teenage girl around my age. The room was lavishly piled with silk bedsheets and pillows, more than deemed necessary. Her room was littered with jewelry, which I had snagged first and inserted into one of her satchels. By the time I was done raiding for her jewelry and money, I had two satchels filled with them. However, I still had to change out of my blood stained clothes. 

I lay down the satchels gently on the bed as I began stripped myself of the stupid heavy calico dress from my body, glad that I had decided against the corset tonight. I began plucking my way through her closet, amazed with the endless selection of dresses she had. She probably hadn't worn a single dress twice! As I found a suitable, expensive looking silk blue dress and draped it around my body, I began thinking of the girl that this had once belong to.

She was a pitiful creature. Even if I didn't know her name, and had known her for less than an hour, I knew she contained only air in her head and nothing more. However, I had slightly hesitated on killing her. Even though she had been either around my age or older than me, I still had considered her a child. She didn't know what it was like to live on the streets and face death more than once. That thought had given my finger the courage to pull the trigger on her before she had the chance to scream.