Chapter One - It's A Deal

Chapter One:

I knew I was dreaming. I never dream, but when I do, it's always the same thing. I'm inside a body that I don't control, that appears to be a younger version of mine. Which is impossible, because I have no such memories of my childhood or anything that had happened. However, the resemblence between the child I was in and the way I looked presently was undeniable, as we passed by a full length mirror on our way down the corridor. The same waist length, scarlet curls that bounced with every step - with an exception that these curls were obviously well kept with pins and ribbons, whereas my own hair was not. The same sapphire eyes. Everything was the same, with an exception of height difference.

My 'dream self' continued treading down the same corridor. The corridor with its lavish ivory coating decorated with luxurious, intricate decorations that swirled down the hall with me. The corridor with its plush halls that tickled my toes with its softness and muted my dawdling down the hall. I knew what I was following. I was following the all too familiar musical notes of the song I hum to myself frequently. It was being played by a piano and accompanied by a rich, velvety bass voice that made me want to dance and cry at the same time. 

My dream self continued to pick up the pace along with the piano notes, eager to reach that person who was playing the lovely music. I wanted to know who they were, too. Just as soon as we reached the end of the long expanse of corridors and reached out for the elaborately decorated door with a noticble key lock at the bottom of it, my dream self blacked out.

I woke up. Before, when I was a child, I would cry with despondency and regret that I had not been able to find that person that played the beautiful music that I only knew of. As I got older, I was ashamed to admit that such a dream bothered me, and held my distress. Now, though, it didn't matter to me at all. It left a burning curiosity and irritation that no matter how hard I tried, I never dreamt of anything else or the dream never changed.

Sighing with annoyance, I swung my legs out from underneath the cover, and immediately regretted doing so. My leg muscles screamed at me for interrupting their rest and I felt tears prick my eyes. The searing pain almost made me faint. I let my legs loosely dangle on the side of the bed until the pain receded. I lifted the hem of the dress and peered down cautiously at my legs, imagining the worst scenarios possible and then wondering for a brief second how bandages had been wrapped neatly from my ankle all the way up to the bottom of my knees. Then, I remembered what Nicholas had done. I smiled.

I looked up from my legs and scanned the room - a natural instinct you learn to acquire when you're on the run for the majority of your life and you're the Most Wanted thief in England. I knew I could trust this pub to always be my safe house, but nevertheless, it didn't completely disarm me. I was sitting up upon a single twin bed which was shoved into the corner of the room. To my right, in front of the bed lay a trunk shoved up into the other corner of the room.

In front of me was my make up dresser that held chunky dresser drawers to withhold my endless collection of cosmetics and wigs I used only for missions or cons. To the left of the dresser was my double doored dresser shoved up into the corner of the room that held various disguises for me to choose from. 

My entire room was themed darkly with the furnishings either being red or black. It had been a joke amongst my two other friends, Nicholas and Seth, to decorate my room as such because of my infamous con woman name, Red. Which, by the way, was totally uncreative since my hair was that color.

Deeming the room safe of any intruders, I began to gently ease myself off the bed, gritting my teeth to prevent myself from yelping out loud in pain. I refused to be beaten up over one stupid fall. Growing obscenities under my breath, I hobbled over to the door. By the time I reached the door, which was only five steps away, I was panting harder than a race horse. Furrowing my eyebrows in determination, I continued my painful journey out the door and up the stairs to the bar.