3: Sheltered

Kyla threw her bag into the passenger seat of her car and got in with no second thoughts. She needed to come up with a plan that would hopefully keep him from finding her, but she didn't wanna sit here while she thought about it so she went to a gas station. She went inside, grabbed herself a slushie and a hot dog, and went back to the car to think. Mark didn't let her keep much cash at any given time but over the years she had stashed a little here and there she had about two-hundred dollars give or take. With that in mind she made what she thought was a good plan.

She was going to have a lot of walking to do and didn't really wanna do it in the dark, she needed a place to spend the night The only thing she could think of was a homeless shelter but she'd never been to one before, where did she find one? Maybe she could google it? Google came to her rescue and popped up several addresses for homeless shelters. She typed the closest one into her gps and started her car.

When she got there she was actually feeling a little nervous but she sucked it up and went inside anyway. Just inside the door was a little lobby with a t.v. and three plastic chairs, there was also a wooden door with a metal handle on the opposite wall. Upon entering she was greeted by a reception sitting behind a thick glass panel typing on a computer.

"Hello dear, how may I assist you?" The older lady asked, looking up from the computer.

Kyla was actually pretty surprised that the lady didn't say anything or even really react to how battered her face was. She was also pretty thankful for it because it would've only embarrassed her further. Maybe she was used to seeing people in her condition?

"Ummm... I-I just need a place to stay for the night," she stammered shyly.

"For the night huh? If you say so. But just so you know, you're welcome to stay as long as you like," the woman said, smiling up at her kindly.

"It's just for the night, but thank you."

"Okay, well it's dinner time. When you hear the door click go on in and someone will be waiting for you to show you to the dining room. If you have a cell phone on you it has to stay at the front desk until you leave for the privacy of our other guests," she said.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket, turned it off, and handed it over to her. The nice lady pointed towards the door she noticed earlier. Kyla walked over to it with her bag slung over her shoulder. There was a loud click, she turned the handle, and headed inside. There was a girl with blonde hair standing in the hallway who led her to the dining area to eat with everyone else. She told her someone else would show her where she could sleep when she got done.

She was served a simple supper of spaghetti, garlic bread, and salad. It was nice to have dinner without worrying about anyone getting mad that it wasn't perfect. She only had a couple bites left when a woman with a little wide eyed boy in tow came over and told her she'd be sharing a room with her.

"When you're done I can show you to our room. Do you mind if we sit with you?" the woman asked, timidly.

Kyla nodded her acceptance and they sat down across the table from her to wait. The little boy yawned and laid his head on the table making her feel bad they were having to wait on her. She hurried to finish her last couple of bites. Then downed her drink, and said she was ready to go. The woman nodded her understanding and stood up. She showed her to a door off to the right before heading down a hallway and another and another. Until the woman stopped at a light blue door with clouds painted on it and a little red airplane in the top corner.

The room had two beds, one on each wall, and there was a dresser at the foot of each bed with a little walkway in between. The woman said if Kyla didn't mind she would like to turn out the light and go to bed. Kyla told her that was fine because she'd had a long day. The brown haired woman and her little boy crawled into their bed and held each other like they were afraid the other might disappear.

Kyla crawled into her own bed and laid there staring at the ceiling worrying if tomorrow would go the way she needed it to.

Back To The Roots (REWRITTING)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें