Ch.17 A Hard Decision Made

Kyla woke up the next day to find Lily and Adahy already awake and whispering by the fire. She couldn't hear what they were saying but they both looked a bit irritated. After a few minutes of watching them Adahy nodded his head and walked off into the trees. She quickly decided she needed to get up and find out what was going on, so she slowly eased out of bed trying without waking her baby.

"What's going on?"

"What do you mean?" Lily responded, slightly guarded.

"What are y'all whispering about and where's he gone?"

"Kyla, I've made a decision," Lily says with a big sigh.

"Okay?"

"I want to go back into town."

"Why would you want to do that?"
Kyla asks, narrowing her eyes. Why would her friend want to abandon her, especially now?

"I want to help more people get away from the cruel world and find a place of peace like us," Lily says, the desperation clear in her voice.

"What! You want to bring strangers here? Around our children? Do you know how much danger that could put us in? They could ruin everything we have!"

"They won't! But we'll be saving them! We could help so many people! And they could help us. What if something happened to one of us? There would be no one to help hunt, or take turns watching the children, or help when you get sick or injured. I need to do this for all of us. Please I'll be careful, don't you trust me!" Lily stated, throwing her hands in the air as she begged for understanding.

"Yes, I do, but... I really need you here. Especially now, I'm going to need help with the baby and what about Moses! Can't you do this... some other time?" Kyla responded, hurt and confused.

"I need to do this now, before it gets any colder, and... I want Moses to stay with you. Adahy is also going to stay and help you. Everything will be fine, you'll see," Lily says and hugs her gently.

"I hope your right," she says with a sad sigh, and hugs her back, "You need to tell anyone you bring back they won't be allowed to leave. And no cell phones, nothing from the outside world except necessitys."

"Okay, okay, thank you!" Lily says as tears fill her eyes.

"When do you leave?"

"I was hoping now before Moses wakes up, if that's okay with you."

"Yeah, that's probably best," Kyla responds with a shrug.

Lily rushes back into the cave and starts gathering things together. Kyla just stands there facing away from her. She wraps her arms around herself and tries to get her crazed thoughts under control. She has to let her do this, it'll be okay, they could help people, she'll come back. Everything will be okay. Lily comes back out wearing normal clothes and a small deer skin pack on her back.

The sight of those clothes sends a wave of revolution through her but she pushes it aside and hugs her friend, "Just be sure to come back."

"I will," Lily says squeezing her tightly, "I know you'll take good care of Moses, tell him I love him."

"I will." Kyla releases her friend and quickly turns away and makes her way back inside their little home.

Kyla sits in her bed space staring down at her little angel with tears in her eyes.  She hears footsteps approaching and quickly wipes the tears away before Adahy enters the tent.

"So she's going?" He asks, as he enters with a limp rabbit and two squirrels in his right hand.

"She's already gone."

"You want to talk about it?" He shes quietly searching for a knife.

"No, not really," she responds quietly.

"Okay. Well when your up to it we should get started on a new home, but don't rush we have some time."

"Okay."

"It'll be allot of work, but it'll keep your mind off things, plus if she brings anyone back they're gonna need a place to stay, this isn't gonna cut it much longer," he admits glancing around.

"Yeah," she responds half heartedly also glancing around at her home.

"Alright, well I'm gonna go prepare this meat. I'm here if you need me."

"Thanks, I think I'm just gonna try to get a little more sleep."

"Okay, sounds good," he says, leaving her in peace.

Kyla snuggles back into her blanket and the baby starts to squirm around and fuss. She rolls onto her side and starts to nurse her.

"My beautiful little angel. What am I going to name you? I think... I think Nyletaka. What do you think about that Nyletaka? Do you like that? And I can call you Nyny for short."

Kyla kisses her baby on the head then snuggles up with her and tries to go back to sleep.

What do y'all think about Lily's decision? Will she help or ruin everything? And do y'all like the babies name?