Chapter 12 - The Ghouls Upstairs

Luigi paused at the base of the dim stairs, looking up them with a nervous feeling turning somersaults in his stomach. It was surprising how he could go from light to almost instantly dark hallways again so quickly; the bright spell only lasted behind a certain point. Beyond the door to the rec room the building once again faded into blackness. Now he was doomed again to face it – more mazes, more surprises in the dark unknown.

   Taking a quick breath, he started to climb the stairs, using his flashlight to make sure he didn't trip. He didn't bother calling for Mario this time – something he would have done, if he didn't already know...

   As he kept going, he shook his head in frustration. Why am I even going this way if Mario is down? It didn't make sense to move away from him. Shouldn't he have been looking for that spade door?

   Luigi tried to shrug the worry away as he rounded the staircase and arrived at the top. Madame Clairvoya had implied he would have business there...

   The stairs led up to a little balcony, similar in layout to the foyer below. There was a door before him which he assumed opened into the main hallways on the second floor; and then on his right, directly above where the rec room was, he found another door... on fire.

   Another one... are you kidding?? With a jolt, Luigi rushed forward. It was burning hot all around the doorframe, just like the last one, being consumed by a wall of flames. It cast the whole place with a fierce orange light.

   So quiet, Luigi thought as he quickly fumbled for his hose, already feeling temperatures rise. These things would be really scary if they were actually dangerous!

   It was a bit smoky, but it didn't worry Luigi too much; hoping that he still had some water left from the fountain in the courtyard, he attempted to extinguish it. He didn't have a ton in his reserves, but it was enough. Backing away as the smoke began to take over, he leaned against the stair railing and coughed it out.

   Luckily, the spectral fires were no big deal, as he'd learned by now; and when he looked up a moment later, the door stood invitingly, perfect and unscathed, amidst the clearing smoke. What's the point of lighting these on fire, even? The solution was too simple for words.

   With a small groan, Luigi shoved himself up to go inside. He needed to keep moving, it was just... he was starting to get pretty tired.

   Don't be ridiculous. You slept pretty late this morning, he scolded himself. And a sore ankle is no reason to complain... Maybe there's something important in here.

   According to his map, he had arrived in a place called 'the tea room'. Indeed, it looked like the perfect place for having get-togethers, with a dinner table on each side of the room and shelves with fragile-looking china dishes in the walls. The place was covered in fancy white and gold wall decorations with elaborate moldings and pillars in the corners. Upon his entering, the back wall lit up with a flash of lightning, revealing three big windows covered over with red drapes. He was lost again immediately in the darkness.

   Silent as a cat, Luigi stepped forward, looking around doubtfully. Tea room, huh? He sure could have used a cup of tea right about now...

   He paused, tilting his head at something strange he spotted on the right table. There was sitting some bucket – yes, it was a bucket – that was spilling over with some sort of smoke; there was a white mist rising out of it. Dry ice? he wondered.

   Cautiously, he came closer, slowly reaching out a hand. It was cool...

   "Hisss!"