Epilogue - Luigi's New Mansion

And so the matter of the ghosts was settled. Nothing short of ten hours from the time he'd first set foot in the mansion, Luigi's quest came to an unceremonious but welcome end.

   The treasure he had collected turned out to be quite a profit indeed. Although he had lost his initial prize, Luigi's winnings were certainly nothing to complain about. Including the grand crown, he had found over tens of thousands; much more than he could think what to do with. But since Professor E. Gadd hadn't been interested in it either, they soon came to another conclusion: He was so pleased to have his portrait ghosts restored that he offered to use the money Luigi collected to build him a new house.

   "Just a small one," he had assured him. "Not anything worthy of replacing the last one. But I think you deserve it."

   At first Luigi had been insistent on refusing. "Oh no, I don't need that," he'd said. "What would I do with my own house?"

   But Mario had approved. "Come on Luigi, you should take it! You don't have to stay there all the time if you don't want to. It can be like your home away from home."

   At last, under Mario's coaxing, Luigi had accepted. "Oh, alright," he'd said. "But we can share it."

   "And I promise I'll never go inside without you," Mario had sworn. Luigi just smiled and pushed him.

   Several months later it appeared gorgeous and quaint on the hill; homey and bright as Luigi had always imagined it'd be. The white house, with colorful green accents and a pointy roof that looked to a sunny sky, turned out to be quite a wonderful gift indeed.

   But on that very morning, none were concerned with anything but getting back home. After all of the toadstools had been woken and rounded up, and their final farewells had been at last spoken, Mario and Luigi began their journey out, back to that wonderful place in the Mushroom Kingdom called Toad Town, where their already-existing little home awaited. Walking away, Mario had shaken his head.

   "Mama mia. I think I'm gonna need a vacation after this one."

   Luigi had laughed. "You should do that, but maybe go without me. I think I need a staycation." He was already excited with the thought of home.

   Mario smiled. "Well, I hardly think that's the last time we'll see the professor," he said.

   "Oh, no," Luigi said. "He's going to be starting a new business soon. And he's got to build us a house, remember."

   Mario chuckled. "Well, you do deserve one."

   Luigi didn't have a reply. This was enough; the four happy toadstools frolicking on the path ahead of them, and Mario's arm over his shoulder. The new confidence he had found; the new and invaluable friend he had made in E. Gadd. Just the thought of the road ahead was bright, and Luigi was more ready than ever.

   Overhead, the morning sky above Boo Woods, filled with white, fluffy clouds, was a luxurious blue.