Prologue

The Port Witch Coven were longing for someone―anyone . They hadn't had anyone come to their door in a very long time. Fortunately for them, Colin Well was sent to their door, just as they were getting ready to go find someone. Colin was eight years old and his step-father, Barnaby Stool, had sent him out onto the street they lived on in The Port with the bread cart. Barnaby's profession was selling his baked bread. The bread was great, but the man who made it wasn't so appealing to the customers. Colin's mother, Trilla Well, had left Barnaby when he was only five. Colin had no idea where his mother had went and since his father had died when he was a baby, he only had his step-father left. Barnaby was loud, obnoxious, and rude. Several times, when he refused to do what he told him, Barnaby had hit Colin.
        As Colin pushed the bread cart up to the next house, he had no idea that the Port Witch Coven lived there. He was about to grab the knocker on the door, but insted he got a surprise. His hand closed around a toad and he screamed so loud the people at the docks must have heard him. The door was thrown open and a woman stood in doorway. The Witch Mother saw the boy was by himself. Then she looked behind him and saw a cart with loaves of bread stacked up on it.
        "Yes?" The Witch Mother asked, adjusting her black robes.
        Colin wrinkled his nose. This woman smelled of cat poo and dead animals. But he had to be polite because he was a salesboy. He stood up straight and began saying the Bread Verse:

"Hello, how do you do?
I am here to serve bread through and through!
Although you may not see,
This bread's taste will fill you with glee.
So, buy some, buy some please!
I represent the Port Bread Company!"

        The Witch Mother was looking at Colin in horror. Who would think up something so wretched? And about bread? The Witch Mother loved bread, but this boy made her not want to eat it. Then she realized this boy was helpless and alone. So she changed what snide comment she was going to make into a more loving voice, "My dear boy. Thank you for coming! Would you like to come inside? It's awfully cold out here."
Colin looked around, confused. It wasn't cold. It was the end of summer. Again, he realized he had to be nice to the customers, "I would love to, ma'am," he said kindly.
        "You can leave the cart out here, no one will take it," The Witch Mother purred.
        Colin thought that this was perfect place for someone to take something. But he left the cart by the door and walked over the threshold. The room was dim and he couldn't see very far ahead of him. The door slammed behind him, rattling a dusty painting on the wall. The Witch Mother's voice behind Colin whispered, "Let us walk."
        Colin walked straight forward, not knowing where he was going. Then he realized something. If the bread cart was outside, how could he sell bread? He also thought that maybe he should go back outside, it seemed like the best idea. There was dust everywhere and the walls where plastered with dirt and cracks. He realized the Witch Mother was blocking the way out.
        Suddenly in front of him he saw a table with another woman sitting at it. Her head looked huge and it was covered with a black cloth. The Witch Mother reached around Colin and lit a few candles. She froze, looking at Colin, then her face twisted into an evil grin, "You're Colin Well, aren't you?"
        Colin stopped walking to the table. "How do you know my name?"
        "You said you sell bread, of course. There is only one person who makes bread that smells like that. Stool," The Witch Mother explained a little suspiciously, Colin thought.
        "What are you talking about?" the woman sitting at the table blurted out. The cloth fell off her head and suddenly, Colin realized why her head looked so large. Instead of human ears, she had elephant ears. Colin held down a another scream, "Barnaby Stool is a disgusting man! Who's this boy? He's walking all over the new rug! Get him out!"
        "Dorinda, I'll have you remember your place. You will not talk to me like that!" The Witch Mother replied angrily.
        "But if he's here, he won't be leaving!" argued Dorinda. Colin was confused by what she had just said. Why wouldn't he be leaving, he thought.
        "Shut up now, Dorinda, or those ears won't be the only elephant parts you'll have!" The Witch Mother screamed at Dorinda. She pointed to her nose and glared at her, "Now. Colin, dear. We are so pleased to have you! Now it's time we feed you!"
The Witch Mother scurried off to what looked like a kitchen.
        Dorinda glared at Colin. He stared right back at her ears. "Do you enjoy your life, boy?" Dorinda hissed.
"What?" Colin started, but was cut off by The Witch Mother entering the room. He stared in horror at what was on a leash behind her. It was a huge hairy, dog-shaped monster with fangs as long as Colin's arm.
        "Say hello to Fifi, Colin!" The Witch Mother cackled, "I said I'd feed you! I didn't say what to!" Dorinda and The Witch Mother laughed, "Dorinda, grab the boy!"
        Dorinda lunged at Colin and grabbed his jacket. He kicked her in the shin and ran back the way he came through the darkness. Ahead, he could see the painting that was by the door. Suddenly, the front door burst open and a plump man wearing a street-seller's hat said, "Hello, my boy! Is this your cart?"
        Colin took his only chance and pushed past the man who was blocking the door. He heard the man fall down and The Witch Mother scream, "You'll end up just like your mother!" Colin didn't look back, but he ran all the way back to his house where he burst through the door and ran to his small bed. He thought over what The Witch Mother had said, "You'll end up just like your mother!"