Chapter 8―The Keep of Magyk

"My name is Saara-Ra," said the woman in orange as she led them through a paved street. Orange stone buildings reared up around them, their windows glinting in the sun. Turrets with pointed roofs rose above those, casting shadows onto the street.
        "But I don't understand. What is this place?" asked Colin, looking around.
        "Ra, don't you know?" Saara-Ra's accent making the whole sentence sound like the most important thing in the world.
        "No―wait. Why do you keep calling me Ra?" said Colin.
        "Do you truly not know?" Saara-Ra stopped and looked into Colin's eyes. Colin's eyes began to feel dry, but he didn't know why. Her large green eyes were locked onto Colin's blue eyes and he couldn't stop looking into hers. Finally, Saara-Ra turned and resumed walking down the street.
        "It will all be explained in time, Ra." The woman mumbled.
        They rounded a corner at the end of the street and Colin gasped. In front of him stood the most amazing building he had ever seen―more brilliant than the Wizard Tower. It was a tall building made completely out of the orange stone, lapis, and gold. It's many windows glinted in the sun and the huge golden doors shined at the top of the orange steps. It had one tall Tower sticking up into the sky, topped with a golden roof, just like the Wizard Tower. Battlements surrounding the tower showed how well-protected the building was. A long cobbled path led up to it from the main street and it was surrounded by lapis and gold walls.
        "This is the Keep of Magyk," explained Saara-Ra, stopping. "It was built by none other than Hotep-Ra and his faithful friends and followers. It is believed to be the most Magykal place in the world. It was built a very long time ago, and I am proud to say that I am the last remaining Ra. That is, until I met you, my dear." She looked at Colin.
        "M―me? Related to Hotep-Ra?" Colin asked, utterly astounded. He knew who Hotep-Ra was from his book in the Port. He was the first ExtraOrdinary Wizard and the creator of the Wizard Tower.
        Tod looked at him, aghast. She was so confused. How could Colin be related to Hotep-Ra, she thought. But then she remembered that Colin knew nothing about his family. He could be related to anyone, for all she knew.
        Saara-Ra nodded. "He came here from a land far away filled with Ancient Magyk and built the Keep Magyk. He was a wonderful man, but after he left here, he went back to his home. It is said, that he left that place too, traveling to an odd place with a Queen. A few members of his family had stayed here, and they've been here for a very long time.
        "A few hundred years later, after he left, some of his remaining relatives decided to set forth on this place that Hotep-Ra had traveled to―the Castle. They didn't know if―being the wonderful Wizard that he was―he had lived through those long years. But when they arrived, he was gone, and they decided to settle."
        "So. . .does that mean that there's still people in his family at the Castle?" asked Colin.
        "No, no. Not anymore. They've all died or moved to other places. But you, my dear. You are one of the last at the Castle, and you and I are the last ones here," Saara-Ra motioned to the city around them. "We are sacred people."
        "Are you the ruler?" Eliza asked. Saara-Ra acted like she hadn't heard her and continued walking towards the building.
        "Once the people here know you have returned, they will be grateful for your wise Magyk," said Saara-Ra.
        "But I don't have any Magyk." Colin explained. They had just reached the lapis and gold walls. Saara-Ra led them along the wall until they reached a tall golden, barred gate. Pushing it open, Saara-Ra finished what she was saying, "I wouldn't be so sure. . ."
        They walked up the narrow cobblestone path and up the orange stairs. They orange stone felt harder than iron when Colin put his hand on it. Saara-Ra stopped at the door, and, in a language that sounded completely unknown to all the children, she said a long and complex assemblage of difficult words.
        The golden doors swung inward, revealing a dazzling sight. In front of them, large marble stairs swept up leading off left and right at the top. They were topped with lapis railing veined with gold. Beside these were well-polished silver suits of armor. They each had a large sword with a leather grip. The marble floor was polished and even. On either side of the staircase, a large golden door led off to another room.
        "Welcome to the Entrance Hall. Left is the throne room, and right is the kitchen. Below us is the Underground Chamber and above us are many breathtaking rooms with an assortment of dangerous and great things," explained Saara-Ra. Marston thought back to a few days ago when he had just become an Apprentice. This lady―Saara-Ra―sounded like the Tower Tour Wizard at the Wizard Tower. He almost laughed because the Tour Wizard also acted like Saara-Ra.
        Saara-Ra saw Marston smiling and glared at him. She turned on her heel and marched up the stairs to the first floor on the right. Leading the children down a wide hallway with a long brown rug running down the length of it, she gained speed. There were doors on every side of the corridor. "I'll be taking you to the Banquet Hall."
        At the very end of the hall a tall window revealed the city. Orange stone towers were positioned all over the city. Colin looked out over the rooftops. In the distance he could see a lake―he thought―that opened up to the ocean, but he wasn't sure. Looming over the city were tall mountains casting a shadow over some of the buildings. The city was in a valley surrounded by bright green trees and grass.
        "This way to the Banquet Hall," Saara-Ra snapped at Eliza, who was also looking out the window. In a more soothing voice, she addressed Colin, "Come, Ra."
        The children followed her into a long room with a table that stretched the length of the room, with chairs positioned around it. Light poured in from the open windows, letting in a cool air. Saara-Ra told the children to sit, but she told Colin to sit at the head of the table. "Your servants will be in shortly." Saara-Ra nodded and hurried out of the room, slamming the door behind her.
        "Servants?" Marston exclaimed, amazed. "How do you have servants?"
        "I have no idea. But, at least they don't know it's my birthday," said Colin. Marston and Tod gaped at him.
        "Colin! No! I forgot it was your birthday. I am so sorry!" Eliza wailed. "I feel like a terrible friend."
        "You're not a bad friend. You're a great friend. But, since I'm older, I can boss you around now." Colin laughed. Eliza stuck her tongue out at him, but he looked away, directing his attention to Tod.
        "So you're twelve now?" Tod asked Colin. He nodded. "Cool."
        "Where are we?" Eliza said.
        Tod pulled out her map of the Ancient Ways and layed it out on the table. "We're right here," she said, pointing to a circle on a peninsula. "We're kind of close to the Castle, actually."
        The doors to the Banquet Hall suddenly bursted open, scaring Tod. She stuffed the map back into her tunic before anyone could see it. Colin stared at the people who were coming through the door. One by one, children, about the same age as Colin, came filing through the door. Finally, when the last one, a little girl who was about eight with curly red hair, entered the room, followed by Saara-Ra, the doors closed. All the servants lined up by the wall. In all there were only about ten, but they all looked miserable.
        "These are not only you great friends, but they're also your loyal servants," Saara-Ra glared at the servants. She emphasized "great friends" making all of them put on forced smiles.
        "I don't think I need―" began Colin.
        Saara-Ra cut him off. "Oh, but you do. They are volunteers." She smiled nastily at the servants.
        "Right. But I think I can manage on my own," explained Colin. "Anyways, we can't stay."
        Saara-Ra looked crestfallen, then angry. But Colin didn't see her flash him the face full of anger. He felt bad about leaving this woman who had finally found who she was looking for, so he changed it to, "But, I suppose we can stay a little longer." Saara-Ra smiled and turned to the servants. But when he turned to look at Tod, Marston, and Eliza they all glared at him. Colin, the Knight, mouthed Marston. I know, but, Colin mouthed, motioning to the servants. Tod sighed. Saara-Ra turned back to the children.
        "Dinner, anyone?" she said. Colin nodded politely. Using the same language she had used to open the Entrance Hall doors, Saara-Ra ordered a few of the servants to go down to fetch the food. Soon, they were back with trays filled with all kinds if foods―turkey, fish, potatoes, and all kinds of other things. They laid the trays down in front of the children and handed out silver plates. Marston smiled. Maybe it wasn't so bad of they stayed here.
        Colin filled his plate with foods that he'd never seen before. At the end of dinner, he was so full it hurt his stomach. The sun had began to set outside, worrying Eliza.
        An hour later, when dinner was finally over, Saara-Ra ordered a couple servants to bring over the dessert. The little girl who Colin had seen earlier came in carrying a bowl of strawberry spread. But before she could make it to the table, she tripped on the rug, flinging the spread. The bowl flew into the air and hit Saara-Ra in the face, splattering her in strawberries.
        "Aaaarghh!" Saara-Ra yelled. "It's in my eyes, get it out! It's in my eyes." Saara-Ra began racing around the room like a demented ostrich, her arms flapping around. Finally, she tripped over the rug, falling into a chair. The chair snapped and splintered wood went flying in all directions.
        She sat up in the rubble, using the tablecloth to wipe off her eyes. Saara-Ra stood up and pointed at the little girl in anger. "Throw her in the dungeons. Now!" screamed Saara-Ra. "And get me new clothes!"
        They children couldn't help it. They began having fits of uncontrolled laughter. Marston and Colin fell out of their chairs, rolling on the floor. Saara-Ra looked like she had just rolled through garbage. Her hair was clumped and stained with strawberry spread. Her clothes were too, and she had bits of wood sticking to her. She glared at them. Behind her, two guards had come in and they were carrying the girl out of the room, screaming.
        "Please. Show them to their rooms," Saara-Ra said. She forced a smile at Colin. "Thank you."
        Colin, Eliza, Marston, and Tod were escorted out of the room by a couple of servants. They went down the hall and took the stairs up. When they eventually reached the tower at the top, Tod smiled. They entered the room, and Eliza gasped. The room's walls were made entirely from lapis veined with gold. The marble floor was swept. On the other side of the room was a silver spiral staircase that twisted up like a corkscrew. Just like in the Wizard Tower.
        They were led over to the stairs and they stepped on. Colin almost fell backwards onto Marston. The Magyk he Felt in this tower had a different Feel from that in the Wizard Tower. It Felt much older. Colin smiled too. He was happy that he could Feel things like this now. He used to be uncertain of being Magykal but ever since Saara-Ra had told him about Hotep-Ra he felt more confident.
        The spiral stairs continued upward. On and on, they went going up through the tower. Finally, they reached the top floor. A voice that sounded like it was coming from a megaphone said, "Now On: Floor 6 of the Tower―Floor 14 of the Keep of Magyk."
        They stepped off and walked down a short corridor. At the end was a heavy purple door, just like in the Wizard Tower. "Here you are," said a little boy. The servants raced back to the stairs and were gone in an instant.
        "Okay, then," said Tod. "How do we get this open?" She stepped up to the door and pushed on the handle. It didn't move. Next, she pulled, but it still did not move. Finally, Tod got frustrated with the "stupid idiot door" as she called it, and kicked it.
        Colin stepped up to the door. "Please open?" he said.
        The door swung open as if to say, "All you had to do was ask. . ." As they walked into the room, Tod glared at the door.
        Inside was exactly like the Wizard Tower. Except along the walls were more trinkets and the room was cluttered with books. A fire was blazing in the hearth, heating the whole room.
        "Okay, let's get to bed. It's really late." Eliza looked at the clock above the fireplace. Before anyone could say anything, Marston flopped down on the sofa. Within seconds, they heard his loud snores. Colin walked to the side of the room and opened a few chests set along the wall. He looked through all of them, and finally he found blankets. Colin threw the blankets down on the floor and layed down.
        "Come on, Eliza. I'll show you the old Apprentice's Room," Tod said, leading Eliza up a flight of steps. Tod was overawed that she got to sleep in the ExtraOrdinary Wizard's bed! Or as close as it could be. She felt like the ExtraOrdinary Wizard.
        While Colin was lying in front of the blazing fire, he drifted off into a deep sleep, dreaming about the Knight ambushing the Castle.