3. Into The Forest

Cinderella walked the familiar path that she had walked so many times before. It was the same old road, and the same old view.  The noise here was dim, only the sound of nature can be heard. When it was night, there were neither light nor people. The source of light was to be supported by oneself.

Cinderella was heading towards Madam Zaraf's lively home. She wanted to give her some of the bread she had baked, as a gift. Madam Zaraf was always delighted with Cinderella's cook and baking. She'd love eating her bakery with tea.

Cinderella's day had started out wonderful, even if the sky was showing shades of gray, it didn't bring her mode down because she had finally had the house to herself, without her stepsisters and stepmother who had left the town to visit a family friend, and of course for a chance to shop there, for the upcoming ball. She couldn't have been happier to say goodbye to them for four whole days. She felt very fortunate and had already finished all of her chores for the day and now, she had the rest of the day to herself.

It began to rain. The brown colored dirt, was turning into dark mud. Taking this into mind,  Cinderella shielded her head with her hands, and ran.

Very soon, she saw the little house, and saw Madam Zaraf's small figure. Cinderella called out her name, but she didn't respond back. It looked like, Madam's sole focus was to keep walking in great speed.

Where was she heading? Cinderella thought. 

She knew it wasn't towards the town, or else they'd meet face to face. Madam's direction was the opposite, towards the forest. Why would she go there in this weather? Cinderella didn't understand.

Luckily the door was unlocked to Madam Zaraf's house. At any other given time, Cinderella knew it would be rude to enter, however Cinderella's sure Madam Zaraf would understand the need to enter without permission given this rain.

Cinderella placed the basket of fresh bread on the table and checked to see if the rain had damaged it, fortunately the bread was fine and unharmed in the most parts.

Cinderella felt a cold breeze, she knew there was a window open somewhere. Cinderella looked around the kitchen; all of the windows were closed. Cinderella walked into Madam Zaraf's bedroom. The window was open, she rushed to close it, but she paused.

Her attention landed on the figure of Madam Zaraf. Cinderella could still see her black hooded overcoat. Cinderella bit her lip. Cinderella felt her heart beat quickened. Curiosity was grew inside of her. She had decided. Cinderella quickly grabbed the small blanket that had covered  the basket pf bread and headed outside to where she was the Madam's figure. Cinderella sped up her pace, but not too close for Madam Zaraf to notice her. Cinderella had to be careful.

Wait, what am I doing? Cinderella thought. Madam Zaraf is someone who Cinderella knew and trusted, so why was Cinderella following her like a thief? Madam Zaraf probably had reasons to why she was headed towards the forest.

Maybe, someone was hurt? She thought. If so, Cinderella could be of a great assistance.

Cinderella noticed Madam Zaraf had stop in front of the forest, and Cinderella slowed my pace. She had a lantern in her hand, and it was lit with fire and Madam Zaraf entered the forest. Cinderella came to a stop. Cinderella was right in front of the forest, and all Cinderella could see was lantern's light that Madam Zaraf was carrying.

Cinderella studied the forest making sure it was safe. The tree branches were all very thick, closed in like a cave. Even on the sunniest day, this forest can still divert sunlight. It felt as if this forest was somehow, alive. It concealed many secrets from outsiders and blocked out the outside world.

Cinderella felt uneasy at the sight. All those rumors suddenly repeated in her head, and played with her mind. Cinderella could see Madam Zaraf 's light grew dimmer and had some distances. Cinderella inhaled and exhaled. Cinderella took her first step into the forest. 

Cinderella was still following Madam Zaraf's light however her feet began to feel tired. Most of the rain was blocked out by the trees but paths in the forest were rocky and a bit wet. Twigs and small tree branches were all over the ground. She carefully navigated around the obstacle and looked up to see Madam Zaraf's light, but instead of one, Cinderella saw two. She blinked her eyes and focused again. This time, Cinderella saw 3 then 5 lights and it started to increase more and more, as Cinderella got closer.

The lights gently moved and flickered. These weren't lights from a lantern, but were the lights from fireflies. Cinderella didn't know if she should be glad or not. Cinderella looked behind her, trees and darkness. She looked to the right, left and in front. She tried not to come to the conclusion that she was lost. Alone and lost. No one knew Cinderella was here. Cinderella felt like her body suddenly felt drained like her energy was disappearing. The place where she stood felt eerie even with the beautiful fireflies.Her heartbeat was beating faster and faster.

Okay calm down. She thought. Madam Zaraf will surely find her here and take her home. 

Pacing back and forth didn't help her at all. With step, her fear grew with it.

Think about that time when Stella was talking in her sleep. It was really funny. Remember that one time when Hella was pretending the pillow was her prince charming and--- 

  "Arooooooooooo..."  

The sound of howls halted her thoughts. Her body froze on it's own. Cinderella slowly looked all around near her. It was too dark to make out anything. Cinderella could only see darkness. 

"Arooooooooooo..."

Another sound. It was strange that Cinderella never heard a wolf's cry, this close. But that is probably because Cinderella never had entered this forest. She was regretting she had entered this forest. This isn't what she thought would happen. 

"Arooooooooooo..." "Arooooooooooo..." "Arooooooooooo..."

More sounds grew, one by one. Cinderella felt panicked. She turned around and ran, hoping to find her way back. She was out of breath but didn't stop. It was really hard to run at a normal pace because there were so many trees and obstacles in the way. She stumbled, her shoes were bathe in mud.

Cinderella finally paused in a small open field, which was surrounded by trees. The rain had stopped. There was grass under her feet. Cinderella sat down near a tall, large tree. She tried to catch her breath. Her clothes were dirty, her  hair was a mess. Her throat was dry, she was thirsty and hungry. Cinderella closed her eyes. She was tried. This place felt like a dream, she felt safer here, for some reason.

Suddenly, Cinderella heard a rustling in the trees, she opened her eyes at looked at the direction of the sound. She spoke too soon, how can this place be safe? Something was coming, but it didn't feel like it was wolves  nor something small. Cinderella looked around, trying to find a route to escape. She quickly hid behind the tree, hoping whatever that is there won't see her. She ran into the unknown forest onces more. After some distance, Cinderella looked back as she ran but she fell because of her lack of attention. She felt her head burn. She couldn't focus her eyes. 

Cinderella saw something in front of her but it was blurry. It came closer. Closer. Cinderella could outline a small glint that flickered when it hit the moonlight. She couldn't stay awake, slowly everything around her turned into the darkness.

She didn't want to die. She didn't want to be killed.

-------

A/N: Thank you for reading guys! :) Please kindly vote or comment. It really inspires me to update! Hope you enjoyed this chp.!