5. The Sadness

Chatter burned like a wildfire in the town. Beautiful dresses were worn, high quality makeup was applied, and the most stoned and sparkled shoes rested beneath a noble girl's feet. The only thing everyone uttered of, was the ball.

Cinderella wore the soft blue dress, that draped on her shoulders, hugging her body on the top and elegantly waved down in an A line. Her blue eyes sparkled and her blonde hair was put down. The fabric of her dress was soothing like a summer song. Her lips was painted with a touch of pink color.

The girl in the mirror had a basket of smiles. It's been so long since  Cinderella saw herself dressed fashionably and beautifully. She did have her mother's old make up to play once in awhile but she never had used them for a special occasion.

"You look magnificent." she whispered. Madam Zaraf's eyes  glowed with smiles.

"Thank you." Cinderella said,"Thank you for making this dress! Thank you! This is the best surprise ever- I will never forget this. Thank you so much!"

"Your welcome, Ella." she smiled and patted Cinderella's head gently. "Now, put on your shoes and carry on or you will be late for the carriage." she reminded her.

"Oh!" Cinderella hastily picked up her shoes in one hand,  held up her dress to avoid the dirt on the road and sped out to the door but paused midway and turned.

"Thank you, again!" She gave her smile to Madam Zaraf once more.

She was still in disbelief that she was about to attend the royal ball! She would be among nobles and dukes and dance among them. The most beautiful sound of music will play into her ears; taste exotic food that will be made by the king's chefs, and yes, she will get to get glimpse of the king and prince!  She smiled as she dreamed, she would be there soon!

As quickly as Cinderella's smile came,  it faded upon seeing three familiar women standing with their noses up high. Two of the women chattered away as they admired each other's apparels. The older woman in the middle, glared off at the distance, as she tapped her foot rapidly. However, when the older woman's eyes meet saw Cinderella walking towards them, she mumbled something unpleasant under her breath, which caught the attention of the two other women. They followed her eyes to who their mother's attention was grabbing. The smiles they once had, became frowns. 

Cinderella smiled to contrast their disgraced frowns. They could not deny her from going to this ball. It was the order of a king for all noble girls to attend. And they won't dare to insult the king.

"What are you doing here?" Stella pointed at Cinderella like she saw a mouse.

"For the carriage, so I can attend the ball."

"What?" the stepsisters squealed.

Stepmother noted Cinderella, up and down. Her face was scornful. "Are you finished with all the house work?"

"Yes." Cinderella replied. She knew she would be asked of this. They had given her additional work, in hopes she won't be able to go to the ball.

"Even the chimney?"

"Yes." she said once more, and on the corner of her eyes she could see Hella and Stella whispered something to each other.

Stepmother's eyes looked at her with dissatisfaction. Cinderella was a horrible aftertaste that had resurfaced in her mouth. How dare this silly girl show her face in the royal ball as if she was a high noble woman? What would the other nobles say? How could she face them while this silly girl waltz around carrying the family name? She would lose all face. They would surely question her about this girl, and for those of who saw Cinderella in her home would question why a servant girl attended a ball for nobles. Her reputation will be tainted as well rumors will flow! This can't be. This girl will ruin everything for her two daughters. She glanced at her daughters, who were smiling.