4. The Stranger

Cinderella slowly opened her eyes, for all she could see was but a blur. Her vision finally focused on a familiar ceiling. A soft voice called out her name. Cinderella glanced at the direction of the voice, she felt at peace to see Madam Zaraf's face.

"Oh, thank goodness, you're alright! No, don't get up." she said as she held Cinderella down. "Stay rested in bed."

"What happened?" Cinderella asked softly. Her body ached, and her forehead was throbbing in pain. Cinderella touched her forehead and felt a cloth, perhaps a bandage wrapped around her forehead.

"Well, I'm not sure what really did happen to you, I hoped you would tell me."

" Hm, the last thing I remember is I fell, and my head...." Cinderella tried to recover the details. "So, was it you who found me?"

Madam Zaraf paused for a moment to gather her thoughts. "I suppose that is correct. Anyways, try not to talk, child. Your forehead was in a nasty condition when you were found. Not to worry, I cleaned it up a bit so, it won't leave any scars. Try to sleep."

"I don't feel sleepy, just a little bit weak. Would you keep me company?"

"Of course." She said and took a seat. "What were you doing there? In the forest?"

"I thought there might be someone hurt, so I followed you." Cinderella bit her lip. "But honestly, I was just curious. I apologize."

"Ella," she said in a motherly tone.

Cinderella felt her heart soften. She was the only person who called her by her real name.

"Cinderella, it is okay but you must promise me to never go into the forest, at least not alone. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I promise." Cinderella said without hesitation.

She responded with a warm smile. "Can you get up? You need you to eat." she said and pointed at a tray of food.

Cinderella slowly rose from the bed with the help of Madam Zaraf's. Madam Zaraf brought

"This will keep you warm and give back your strength."

Cinderella gave her a smile. "Thank you." Cinderella took a bite out of the warm bread. "May I ask, why you went into the forest?"

"I just needed to do something, don't worry yourself about it."

Cinderella could feel that Madam Zaraf' did not want to talk about it, so she didn't press on the subject. "Did you hear about the ball?"

"For the prince's birthday? Of course! That is all the townsfolk talked about. And all these young girls were giggling and dreamily speaking of the prince, as if he were going make them his bride." Madam Zaraf's voice sounded amused.

"You think that too? Is the prince really looking for a bride?"

"He is old enough to get married, and the people do want to see their future queen on the throne. You will be attending the ball as well, I assume?"

"I want to go, but I'm sure step mother has no plans to take me. Besides, I don't even have a dress." Cinderella frowned.

"Ella, you will go to that ball, because Ia will help you. Do not worry about the dress, don't worry about that!" Madam Zaraf smiled. "I think I have the thing! Of course, it's needs a little stitching here and there."

Cinderella was speechless at her kindness and her will to help me. Cinderella felt something inside her lit up. After a very long time, Cinderella felt something was about to change.

 After a very long time, Cinderella felt something was about to change