radioactive green

Naomi was late. Again.
She ran through the crowded, bustling streets of London, weaving her way through people and apologising frantically for bumping into them.
She held her hands over her head, which did exactly nothing to shield her from the near torrential rain that had already soaked her to the skin.
She nearly tripped over a grate as she sped up once her office came into view, and cursed her unfortunate choice of heels that morning. She'd wanted to look like a bad bitch, and they were shiny and new. But now she felt in mortal danger of twisting her ankle and requiring hospitalisation. Which wasn't really worth it.

Then again, she thought, bursting into her office with all the grace of a baby elephant, they did make her a lot taller, which was always a plus when you were 5"3.

Naomi panted as she steadfastly ignored the judging stare of her boss and went to her desk to sit down. She let out a sigh of relief to be in the warmth that quickly turned into a groan once she saw the state of her once wonderfully fluffy coat. It was completely waterlogged, and all the fluff was gone.
She closed her eyes and breathed deeply to quell the rising irritation building behind her eyes. This was just not her day.

She tucked a curl of her wet hair behind her ear, knowing it must look like an absolute rats nest after that downpour.
She cracked her knuckles and was about to get to work when her boss, a perpetually scowling man, called for attention.

With a deep sigh of impatience, she turned to see what on earth could be so important.

And then she froze. Her eyes locked with the brightest green eyes she'd ever seen. They seemed to stare right through her, and glowed with an energy that Naomi could only describe as ethereal.

She tore herself away from the enrapturing staring contest she had somehow entered and looked away quickly.
When she glanced back, those eyes were no longer focused on her, so she could admire the body those eyes belonged to freely.

It was a woman. A very beautiful woman.

But to Naomi, that description did not do the person standing beside her boss justice.
She looked like a queen, her chin lifted ever so slightly and her black hair piled on top of her head in a stylishly messy bun that looked unfairly perfect.
Naomi wasn't religious, but by god did this girl look like how angels should do.
She didn't realise she'd been unashamedly staring until those otherworldly eyes captured her again.
Naomi nearly choked on air when her acidic eyes sparkled with dark glee, and one of them closed in a subtle wink, dark eyelashes fanning her pale cheeks as she dipped her head - the perfect image of demure deference, which Naomi was now convinced was an act.

This girl was no angel. She was the devil herself. But by god was Naomi tempted.

"Nice to meet you. My name is Lauren."

Naomi snapped out of her thoughts fast once she heard that melodic voice far too close to her.
The girl - Lauren - was now standing right in front of her with a cheeky smile and a knowing glint in her eye that made Naomi's cheeks flame.
"H-hi! Great to have you here, I'm Naomi!" she stuttered slightly, cursing herself for sounding so unsure of herself. What was wrong with her? Where was her cool confidence that she was so known for?

"You're cute when you blush, you know."

Naomi stared. Did - did she really just say that? To Naomi?

Lauren grinned at her, flashing unusually sharp canines for a brief second before she sat down at the desk next to Naomi's.

Naomi remained in place, frozen in her chair with surprise, until she realised that she should probably reply.

"Thank you! You're - you're, uh, also really cute."

Naomi immediately wanted to sink into the ground and disappear once Lauren turned to her, slight smile on her lips and one perfect eyebrow raised.

"Is that so?"

Naomi felt her face burn red as she nodded probably a little too quickly. She didn't trust herself to speak.

Lauren smiled, softer this time, and Naomi could almost make out a blush on her dark skin.

It was so utterly contradictive to how regal and unattainable she'd seemed up to now that Naomi was pleasantly surprised. That bashfulness - she wasn't actually an angel, she just had the beauty and the glow of one.

That, Naomi could work with.
After all, she did love a challenge.

Small smirk forming on her lips, her previous nervousness diminishing with every fleeting glance those green eyes shot her, she made a silent promise to herself.

She would win this girl over, no matter what it took.