◦ ruthless

DARCY SUMPTER WAS in a terrible mood

DARCY SUMPTER WAS in a terrible mood. It turned out, flinging yourself through a window was a far easier feat when you had adrenaline and sheer terror coursing through your veins.

⠀⠀⠀ Somehow they managed the stunt. Getting past Emma without waking her, wasn't as easy a feat what with Jude incessantly moaning in pain. Somehow, the trek through the kitchen and out of the house was relatively simpler, though. She thanked her lucky stars before stomping out of her house, straight toward the adjacent carpark, while Jude trotted closely behind. Darcy did not bother to gentle her footsteps — it was nearly one in the morning, nobody was out anyways.

⠀⠀⠀ The night's chill bit at her exposed face, sharp and frigid and she soon found herself regretting not layering up but she had bigger problems.

⠀⠀⠀ It was astounding, truly, how a mere hours ago she was tossing and turning in the confinements of her bed, longing for anything resembling sleep, and now she was leaning against the bumper of Jude's car, arguing over who was going to drive the damn thing.

⠀⠀⠀ "I told you already," Darcy said, throat tightening at the slight of Jude in pain.  "I don't drive."

⠀⠀⠀ "Really?" He quirked a brow up, "Tell me more. Don't hold back."

⠀⠀⠀ "Are you always such an arsehole?"

⠀⠀⠀ Sighing exasperatedly, Jude mussed up his dishevelled hair with a rake of the hand. They'd been arguing for over twenty minutes now and by his flaming gaze, he was just about at his wit's end. "Unbelievable," he laughed, the sound low and bitter. "You're unbelievable. You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be."

⠀⠀⠀ She couldn't hide her small flinch at Jude's words, even if they were true. "It's your car, you drive."

⠀⠀⠀ "Why, that's a splendid idea, Darcy!" He said, feigning mirth. "Let's let the bloke with the debilitating head injury drive, what could possibly go wrong?"

⠀⠀⠀ Darcy rolled her eyes. "Buzz off with your...your logic."

⠀⠀⠀ Jude shoved the key hob in her hands. "You're driving."

⠀⠀⠀ "We could always Uber?" She countered, shoving it back.

⠀⠀⠀ "I'm not paying twenty pounds to go somewhere that we can go for free."

⠀⠀⠀ Darcy crossed her bird-boned arms over chest. "I'm not driving, Jude."

⠀⠀⠀ "Give me one good reason why not," he challenged, head raised defiantly.