◦ outer limits

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

→←

⠀⠀⠀ON THE EVE of Christmas's Day, Lennon Price glimpses a tuff of raven hair shovelled beneath a red woolly hat at the tail end of an aisle at Rosie's—a low-key store renowned for its high quality trinkets and low prices.

⠀⠀⠀As employee of the month for the third consecutive year, Lennon has always found a cheap thrill in offering a helping hand to the scatterbrained boyfriends and lethargic life partners that are scurrying to the nearest shops, grasping at straws to purchase their share of affordable gifts.

⠀⠀⠀She's something of a superhero this time of the season. Retrieving the finest pieces of jewelry, the loveliest bouquets and the most wholesome cards—she thinks of this as her annual good deed and it plays out no differently this year.

⠀⠀⠀Fixing her ponytail, she rights the straps of her work's apron before she lingers a few paces back from the boy that's quite evidently splitting his head over the perfect gift.

⠀⠀⠀His deep, dark eyes are darting over a shelf showcasing rings, necklaces and every other mildly expensive accessory until they meet hers at the sense of her presence, startling him.

⠀⠀⠀"First time I'm seeing your face in these neck of the woods." She remarks in a small face, shooting him a closed-lipped smile. "Having trouble?"

⠀⠀⠀A self-deprecating grin adorns his face at her remark. Pulling off his hat, he unveils mussed hair that he ruffles with a free hand. "That obvious, huh?" He confirms, grin spreading. "It's my first time seeing someone over the holidays so this buying gifts thing has been quite the tumultuous experience."

⠀⠀⠀"Ah, a virgin gifter," she teases before her cheeks rosy at the fortuitous innuendo. "You know what I mean." She belatedly retracts.

⠀⠀⠀The stranger—easy on the eyes—says nothing, too busy shaking his head in mirth as he laughs, unable to bite back the mega-watt smile capturing his soft mouth.

⠀⠀⠀ "So," she croaks out, crossing her elfin arms atop chest. "What's the missus or mister like?"

⠀⠀⠀"Stubborn," he admits but Lennon can tell by the sly grin quirking his lip that it's not said in defamation but lovingly, in dripping adoration. "Sensitive, kind—too good for me."

⠀⠀⠀"You know, I didn't have you pegged for a huge romantic," she teases, shoving him slightly in the arm. "I guess love really does make fools of us all."

⠀⠀⠀"Guilty as charged." He replies sheepishly before rolling his arms back and shifting his gaze back to the shelf. "Seriously though, which one would you go with?"

⠀⠀⠀She shrugs before raising her hands in mock-surrender. "Dealer's choice." She says, simply. "I'm sure they'll like whatever you choose."