1 - Bloody Knuckles

|| chapter one - bloody knuckles ||

It was my birthday. Today I would be getting my only and best gift I've ever received. I would be seeing my dad for the first time in seven years and moving away from my tormenting mother. The smile couldn't leave my face.

Soon, we would be packing away boxes along with the rest of my old life. My dad would be here any minute now. This is my new start.

I looked outside the window. Colourful leaves littered the yard and sidewalk, it was nearly the end of fall which meant cold weather was coming. That's when I seen my dad's old, red pickup truck pulling up into the front.

When I turned around to run downstairs and greet him, Leslie, my mother was standing in the doorway. When she ripped the headphones from my ears, I knew she was mad. No surprise there. I glared at her for coming in my room, "How many times have I told you not to co--" She cut me off.

"WHY HAVENT YOU FINISHED THE DISHES?" She roared into my face. I rolled my eyes, I was used to her unnecessary screaming.

I caught a glimpse of her hands. She always had a thing for having multiple rings on each hand. All of which her fiancee, Adam, bought her. "Give me my headphones back." I demanded. She grabbed my iPhone.

"No!" I shouted, trying to get the iPhone from her hand. I studied the rage in her eyes. "Please? I'm sorry."

I might've had a clue as to why she was furious. For as long as I could remember, I was doing all the chores of the house every day of the week, while my mother went out with her fiancee or her friends. I was like a modern day Cinderella, without the two evil step sisters. Only, an evil mom who was currently pissed that I spent the previous night packing rather than cleaning her house one last time. How's she going to fend for herself without me now?

It happened fast. One minute my phone and headphones were in her newly manicured hands, the next, whipped against the wall. "What the hell?" I yelled angrily, running towards my prized possessions-tears welled in my eyes.

She then grabbed my collar to pull me towards her, I was so close I could smell her breath and it reeked. Before I could pull myself out of her grasp, with all her strength she threw me at the wall. My head striked the corner of the window sill and I fell to the floor. I tried standing up and regaining my balance. My head spun.

I could feel my pulse in my ears when I stood up, I winced as my head pounded. What just happened registered in my mind. She was really mad if she was getting physical with me... or she was on something again. "Thanks mom," I spat. "Next time, push me harder." She was fuming. Just like that, her fist connected with my cheek and I instantly regretted talking back.

I stumbled back from the impact and instantly reached towards my face, the entire right side of my face burned. I didn't know from what. Either blood or the freshly wounded holes in my face from her rings. I began to sob as I dropped to the floor. I faintly heard footsteps up the stairs. I automatically shut my eyes and curled into a ball as I held myself. I knew blood was staining my hair and clothes. I was just praying she'd storm out as usual and leave me alone.

A voice broke my thoughts. "Alainna, are you read--" My head shot towards the door. There stood my hero, my dad. I completely forgot he arrived here to get me.

A lopsided grin stretched across my face. He hadn't aged a day, His thick, curly brown locks haven't grayed at all. The only difference being that he looked more healthy. The bags under his eyes had disappeared and his beer belly was gone. He'd clearly recovered from the divorce  years ago. Happiness I didn't know I had engulfed me and I nearly forgot my state, but his eyes struck wide of horror snapped me to reality.

He was holding an incredible Canon camera from the looks of it, it was new. There was a small pink bow at the top of it. Realization struck me, it was my birthday and this camera was my present.

I noticed the red light was blinking on it; it was already recording. He must've wanted to catch my reaction receiving his expensive but very thoughtful gift.

Behind him stood Adam, holding a chocolate cake, my soon-to-be step father. They both took a second to process the information of the scene in front of them. And I took a moment to scramble together an explanation as to why my real father and step-father would be here at the same time. I assumed they'd hate each other.

I immediately ran over to my father. I felt dizzy and my head began to pound even worse. I wiped away my tears, they they threatened to spill over again.

I knew I looked terrible because my dad looked at me, his eyes glazing over. "Oh my god, honey." He whispered before pulling me into a bear-hug. The safeness that washed over me made me want to cry, being in my dad's arms after so long.

My mother's shock wore off. She began to cry, not tears of regret or guilt. She was crying tears of getting caught. "I'm so sorry," She cried. Her face was so contorted in frustration. So many years of lying and saying she never hurt me when I called Children Protective Services. "I-I, uh, it--"

I attempted to smirk, to bask in the glory. The action caused my face to to hurt worse, I latched onto my dads arm. "Good luck getting out of this one," I breathed. 

My dad opened his mouth to speak, "You--you, you... bitch!" He paused. His eyes were wild. "I would like to please know what the hell is going on. What did you do?"

Adam just shook his head in denial, "I can't believe this, Leslie, please tell me it's not what it looks like." My mother just stared up at him with sad eyes as her lip trembled. His eyes were wide, he looked at her with horror. There was no question to be asked about what scene just unfolded in front of them.

My mother was speechless. My dad began to speak again, "Leslie..." He warned. "Tell me this is all a misunderstanding. Damn it, Tell me you didn't do this to our daughter!"

"For christ's sake," Adam nearly yelled. "Say something. Please."

My eyes began to drift closed, I felt faint and needed to get medical attention.. fast. I  struggled to clear my throat. "Dad, can we please leave?" I nearly begged him, I felt my stomach twist when I heard the words come out of my mouth. The word 'dad' wasn't in my dictionary and rolled off if my tongue weird. He looked surprised, as if I brought him to reality. 

"Hey, you guys coming or what?" A voice called out from down stairs.

"Hey, Brent come up here!" My dad shouted. I had no idea who that was but frankly, right now, I didn't even care if a stranger saw me in my state. I closed my eyes and held onto my father for support. I felt sick and tasted blood in my mouth.

"Yeah?" The stranger asked. I think he noticed me in my dads arms because he cursed under his breath. "Shit, Is that Elena? What happened? I never--"

"I need you to drive her to the hospital, right now." My dad ordered. "Don't ask me any questions, just say she fell or something. You're a smart boy, make something up." I chose then to open my eyes. It was too blurry to see. I let go of my dad.

Big mistake. My legs gave out and everything went black.