2 - Hunger Pains

2 - Hunger Pains

"Do you think she'll be alright?" a voice asks.

"Yes. We stitched up her head; those were very deep cuts and we'll call her soon to make an appointment to take the stitches out. As for her face, she'll be alright. It'll heal up faster if you re-apply the bandages every hour or so, " I opened my eyes. A nurse.

I looked to my left to see an unfamiliar boy. Ruffled brown hair, olive skin tone, Brown eyes, topped off with his deep voice. He was hot. This is a great dream.

His gaze snapped to me. "What?" The attractive stranger asked me. He began to cheekily grin. That's when I felt a full pain in the back of my head, and realized I wasn't dreaming.

"What do you mean what? I'm sorry, who are you?" I fired at him. The nurse excused herself out of the room, leaving him with me. I began to mentally panic, keep calm. Thousands of questions swarmed in my head.

"What do you mean? I said what first... you called me hot." I immediately sensed the cockiness radiating of off him.

"Wha- I never called you hot!" I sputtered, knowing that I may have accidentally said it-out loud. I obviously wouldn't admit I called him hot; I didn't feel like boosting his ego even more. But I did feel my face grow warmer as we continued to talk about my stupid compliment. Before he could reply, I added, "And you didn't answer my question. Who are you?"

"Alright, alright. I'm Brent, your dad demanded I took you here." Snips of earlier hit me, everything that had actually just happened. I was in shock. "And, just so you know, we're free to go any minute now."

"I want to see my dad." I tell him blankly. I was scared and my stomach began to knot when I let my thoughts drift. Thankfully, I'm great at concealing my feelings.

"And you will, but, right now they're dealing with your mom, oh and shipping the furniture over. So, you're stuck with me." He tells me matter-of-factly.

I pulled the covers off of me, it was too hot in the room and I felt my hands become clammy. Then I chimed, "Can't you just take me home?"

"And how would that be fun?" He smiled. I gave him a look.

"Oh my god, just take me home. I don't even know you!" I shouted, exasperated. "And even if I did, some how know you, you know what---I don't even care, just take me home. I'm tired and I wan't to sleep." His eyes widened just enough for me to notice, he was taken back by my anger. I suddenly wondered if he knew what happened. I awkwardly coughed when the room became silent.

"You just slept for 6 hours straight, well, passed out." He seemed like he'd rather be anywhere other than here. Me too, buddy.

I sat up. "Just take me home please, I'm really tired." I forced a smile on my face, hoping that he'd pity me and give in. I needed to know what was going on with my mom.

"What's in it for me?" He asked with a devilish grin and a twinkle in his eye. I was confused.

"What do you mean what's in it for you?"

"I mean, I'm almost out of gas money, so if I bring you could you chip in?" He asked sheepishly. At this, I laughed. He seemed giddy like a kid. He reminded me of Sel when she'd ask me for ice cream on our Wednesday date nights and I said yes. She had the same look of innocence in her eyes. I felt my eyes water and immediately pushed the thoughts to the back of my head and looked away from Brent and to anything else in the room, choosing to gaze at the clock. The hand on the clock was ticking by slowly.

"Of course, if my purse is here." I told him. As he reached underneath his chair to reveal my purse, the same African-American nurse came back in.

"Are you feeling okay, honey?" She asked me in a soothing tone, which unfortunately, didn't soothe me at all. I just gave her a tight smile and nodded my head. I was lying because I was so not fine.