3 - Batman Boxers

The room was darkly lit.

I sat in a plastic chair with my hands clasped together behind my back. In front of me sat Detective Mason. His intimidating appearance gave me an unsettling feeling in my stomach, I couldn't find it in myself to trust him even though he told me I should.

"You have to give me the full story," He demanded. He was much larger than I was and old enough to be my dad. His dark circles under his eyes and dark persona made me wonder how much he'd seen working as a detective.

After I told everyone I supposedly killed my own mother, the police tasered me into getting into their car because I wouldn't go against my own will and Brent was brought inside with me. I just remembered that the pain was excruciating.

40 minutes later, we arrived at the police station, I was brought into a small room with cement walls and was ordered to tell them everything. And I did tell them everything, leaving out the part of my mother saying the horrible things about me. I felt too guilty to blame any of this on her. I couldn't help but remember who she was before the drugs. I wondered if she was still alive. Deep down, regardless, I really hoped she was. She was the most vile woman but nobody deserved to die.

"I already told you everything," I lied through my teeth to the detective.

"No, you didn't. Stop lying---you're hiding something. Alainna, you have to tell me, " He was quickly loosing his patience and it wasn't helping his chances of receiving honesty from me. He told me he could trust me multiple times already. But how can you trust a detective? Aren't I supposed to speak to a lawyer?

Angry now, I abruptly stood up. "I already told you. I'm guilty! Just let me rot in the stupid jail cell!"

He purses his lips and added, "Something doesn't add up. Why did you get angry at her? What made her mad at you? Who could possibly make someone kill themselves? Why?HOW? From your story, you're not guilty of anything," His jaw was ticking as he yelled and I seen the fury in his eyes. "All I have are questions. I need answers if you want my help!"

"I don't want your fucking help!" My voice vibrated throughout the room. My wounded cheek began to sting from my sudden outburst. I felt the tears burn my eyes.

He was about to open his mouth but frankly, I was sick of his screaming. "No-don't speak. You want to know what happened? Fine!" I then proceeded to tell him about the entire conversation, including the gruesome details on how Leslie smiled at me right before she died.

I was left sobbing. "I killed her, it was all my fault! I was a horrible daughter..If only I had listened.."

Detective Mason kept his face blank as I stopped crying. "Alainna," he said. "Do you still have your cell phone on you? If so, I'm going to need it for investigation."

I looked up at him. "Only if I can get out of this stupid room and talk to my father," He sighed but agreed. He took my handcuffs off then once I reluctantly handed him my cell-phone, he re-cuffed me. We exited to another room packed with busy security guards scurrying all over the place. Mason stood behind me as we walked out.

I tried to wipe my eyes with my shoulder but with the handcuffs, I couldn't. I walked towards my dad and Brent, who were sitting on plastic chairs in the hall. When I approached, both of their eyes filled with relief. "Alainna, can you tell me what the hell is going on?" My dad demanded.

"Didn't they tell you everything?" I asked, confused. At that moment, detective Mason called my father over. He stood up and shot me a worried look before walking past me to Mason.

I took a seat in the plastic chair beside Brent. He gave me a look, as if they were a thousand of wheels turning in his head, but said nothing.

I watched Mason speak to my dad, they looked as if they were whispering. Then he ushered him into another room. I sighed and leaned back into my chair, fiddling with a lose thread on my jean pocket. The silence between Brent and I became thick, and I just wished that he wouldn't ask questions. I was so exhausted and emotionally drained. I didn't want to talk.