9 (Battle at Beruna part 2)

Me, Peter and Oreius were on the top of a rock, making us stand out against the majestic army. My armour was simple leather, so I would not be restricted. My bow was in my hand, my quiver on my back, my daggers strapped around my waist. I glanced at peter, seeing his nervous expression. He sensed my stare and returned my gaze. I smiled at him and he smiled weakly back. It was then that I promised myself that no matter what the outcome of this battle was, Peter and his siblings would all get out alive.

We watched a gryphon fly above our heads. The creatures wings were effortlessly flapping to move the being. I glanced at Peter once more. He looked so regal in his armour. His helmet making his face appear far older than his age. With very little swordsman lessons under his belt, I prayed to Aslan that it would be enough. He was my world, if he were to die, I would find no joy in living to see another sunrise.

I turned my gaze behind me, where a small figure stood on a higher rock face. Dressed in the same armour as High King Peter, meaning it was King Edmund. Even from here you could see the apprehensive expression that shone from his face.

The gryphon landed beside me.

"They come your Highness, in numbers far greater than our own." The gryphon informed. His eyes held a worried look as he tried to portray the army that was fast approaching.

"Numbers do not win a battle." Orieus stated. He was true but what the advantage was defiantly on the witch's side, despite what I wished to admit.

"No, but I bet they help." Peter commented shaking his head slightly.

"You will get out of this Peter, as will your family." I told him.

"As will you Addy." He spoke weakly, then returned his stare to the approaching enemy.

A minator roared, signally the nearing army. Then we saw them. All the foul beings stalked forward, revealing the vast numbers that made up the enemy. I had never been nervous before about fighting the witch's followers, but now, faced with the possibility of mine or my soul mates death, nerves tore through my body.

The witch rode a chariot, pulled by two polar bears, onto a rock opposite. Even from the far distance, what was around her neck was clear. Aslans mane. My mouth dropped in shock and horror. Peter noticed the change in my mood after seeing the witch.

"Addy." Peter said. My eyes locked with the witch, bubbling with shock turned to anger.

"Addy, don't do anything stupid." Peter warned. I looked at him in alarm.

"Please." He pleaded. I just nodded, with tears clouding my eyes. I wiped them away and readied to charge. Peter drew his mighty blade, pointing it at the enemy. The army followed his lead by shouting and cheering. The enemy leapt forward, running towards us with weapons ready. Peter signalled the gryphons and they flew over our heads, boulders clutched in their claws. We all stood silently as they dropped on the enemy. We saw many of our foe fall dead to the ground, thinning out the front lines of the army.

"Are you with me?" Peter asked Oreius.

"Till the end." He confirmed.

"What about you Addy?" He turned to me.

"Do you even need to ask?" I laughed lightly at Peter. I saw the smile on his face, not a weak smile that hid his fear, but a genuine smile at my light hearted comment.

"For Narnia! And for Aslan!" He shouted, launching us all into battle, him leading the way. His pure white unicorn leading the charge as we ran in formation toward the racing army ahead. Now was not the time for doubt or acts of cowardice. Now was the time for heroes, and making count all the training we had behind us.

The two armies connected with a clash of metal on metal. Like two hands clapped together the affect was sudden, no time for error. I shot arrow after arrow as I stayed near Peter. Unfortunately, every creature must have wanted the glory in saying they killed the High King as many beings tried to get a stab at the King. Many came for me, but I shot them before they got too near. I saw a minator approaching Peter from behind, so quickly notched an arrow. Without hesitation I shot it sending it deep inside the shoulder of the beast, without startling Peter too much. Looking around, we seemed to be doing ok, for the lesser army that is.

"Addy, look out!" Peter cried. I looked behind me to see a beaked monster coming towards me. I did not have time to draw an arrow as its sword was brought down on Raven. I fell as he fell, trapping my leg under his heavy body.

"Raven!" I screamed as I realised he was dead. I saw my bow lying out of arms reach from me, and a few arrows scattered around behind me. The beaked thing came towards me, I tried to pull my leg free without success. When it was only 1 metre from me, I grabbed a small dagger from my belt and threw it at the creature. It buried itself inside the flesh of the being, causing it to fall to the ground. Before I had time to retrieve it my waist pulled me upwards and onto something.

I saw that Peter had pulled me from danger and onto the back of his unicorn.

"I thought I told you to stay safe!" He shouted over the roar of combat.

"Circle back I need to get my bow!" I instructed. Peter attacked things with his sword and I with my daggers as the unicorn rode back to my bow. When we were almost on top of it, I grabbed Peters hand and jumped off the unicorn. Peter held tight, as I swung around, grabbing my bow from the ground, my feet not touching the floor, but ploughing into the chests of enemies, sending them flying to the ground. Peter hauled me up behind him once more and I smiled at the trick we had just done. I continued to fire arrows at the surrounding beasts as Peter attacked more and steered the unicorn towards the white witch.

"I'm going after her. Stay here and protect Ed!" He commanded.

"When will you realise that we fight better together." I snapped back. He stopped, knowing that I had won, and continued on his path.

He stopped, knowing what was coming next. We had defeated almost all of the witch's front lines and a phoenix had swooped down and lit a firewall between the two armies. We paused and watched the witch move forward. She held a tyrannical stare as she approached the wall. The army cheered in triumph, but Peter and I knew that this victory would be short lived.

With a flash of blue, ice like magic, the fire extinguished and the witch lead her army. Narnians ran away in fear of her dark magic, Peter held his unicorn steady.

"Peter, to the rocks!" I instructed. He nodded in approval.

"Fall Back! Draw Them To The Rocks!" Peter commanded. For a boy of 16 he looked and sounded as if he had been in many a battle not that he was leading his first and maybe his largest battle of his life. A horn sounded as our army turned and retreated to the rocks.