Nine

Peter dropped the brown, worn out bag on the kitchen floor and then walked over to me. His arms wrapped around my body and enveloped me into a hug--- space no longer remained between us. I let my hands slip around his neck, my fingers playing with the few hairs that fell against his neck.

"I'm so glad you're okay." His voice was a whisper that spoke into the crook of my neck. Chills ran through my body at the feeling of his breath on my skin. Peter made me feel like several butterflies were released into my stomach and I'm still trying to figure out why.

"Me too." My hands slipped away from their position on his neck and I slowly pulled away from our embrace. My eyes met with his ravishing, dark brown ones. Silence creeped up on us, but it was cut short by the sound of May clearing her throat. Our eye contact was lost as we both glanced over at her.

"I'm going to step out and let you two chat," May spoke, placing the cooking utensils she had been using down on the countertop. She was almost out of sight, but I stopped her before she made it any further.

"That's okay, May. I actually need to go take care of those errands now." I shot her a gentle smile, before stepping passed Peter. His hand grabbed my own and in response, my body made a complete stop. My head turned to look back at the boy, confusion written all over my face.

"Let me come with you. I don't want to let you go without someone there to protect you."

With a wide smile trying to play on my face, I gave him a stern nod, "okay."

*************

Peter and I stood side-by-side in front of the jail that had become a home to my father for the next few months. My eyes were focused on the concrete pavement beneath my feet. The fight managed to creep back into my head again.

"Hadley, are you sure about this?" Peter's voice cause me to shift a little out of uncertainty. At this point, I was having second thoughts but I knew that this was something I needed to do. I have to do this. Peter's hand was on my shoulder now and I could feel him give it a comforting squeeze, "you don't have to face this alone. That's why I'm here."

"I know, but I think I should do it alone." I lifted my eyes to meet his. All this time I've been trying to figure out why Peter made me so tingly and it has always been quite obvious. I've fallen head first for him in the matter of twenty-four hours and I'm okay with that. He's perfect and he truly cares. Any girl would be lucky to have Peter Parker. So, without thinking about what could happen, I placed my arm on his shoulder, and lifted myself on my tip toes. I gave him a smug smile and let my lips press to his cheek. With that, I stepped away and made my way into the jail to face my dad.