Thirteen

Peter left around an hour ago. Spider-Man was highly needed at the local bank. The reporters on the news had addressed a robbery involving several hostages. As of now, no new information has been released. To say I wasn't worried about Peter's safety and the other victims trapped inside the bank would be a lie. But, I knew the boy behind that red suit, and if there was one thing I was most certain about, it would be that he would get everyone, including himself, out alive.

May emerged from the kitchen, a tray of cookies in her hands. She placed them on the mahogany coffee table and settled down beside me on the couch. I diverted my attention away from the woman beside me, and let my eyes rest on the photo of Peter hanging on the wall. He was young, maybe seven or eight, seated at the dinner table. His smile was as wide as could be, and I couldn't help the way my mouth curved up at the sight of it.

"I haven't saw Peter smile like that in ages, but today when I intruded on your two's love fest, his smile was about as wide as that photo, maybe even wider. He likes you a lot, Hadley."

My eyes wandered back over to May, a heartening grin formed at the corner of her mouth. Here lately, many things have reminded me of my mother: the integrity she possessed, the way she always vowed to protect me, her optimistic mind, and most of all, the way she would smile at me. I missed that broad smile she would give me at unexpected times.

As I sit here with May on this couch, her dazzling smile and all, I am conscious of my mother's presence. I can feel her all around me, and I know that she is still keeping an eye out for me, just like my father.

"Peter is my happiness. My mother desired for me to find one thing, dead or alive, and hold on to it. So I did. I have her to thank. But, I also want to thank you for tending to Peter. Without you, his life would be intricate and incomplete. He is fortunate to have you. You shaped him into the person he is. So, thank you."

A few tears trailed down May's face, and I offered her a loving smile along with my hand. Her hand wrapped around mine and she gave it a gentle squeeze, "your mother would be content with the young woman you have become. She always gossiped about your achievements, and that time in fifth grade when you made the cheer team. My favorite was when she mentioned how you and Peter were destined to be together. I believed it."

"You knew my mother?"

"Natalie was my best friend. We grew up together, practically lived at each others houses when we were younger. We informed each other of every little detail that happened in our lives. Big or small. When I found out about her death from your father, I felt my world shatter. Same with Ben. But, Peter got me through it."

"Wow," I whispered, "I never even realized you were the one in those photos. There are numerous amounts of scrapbooks filled with pictures of my mom and a girl. They were you. All of them were you."

"Do you still have them?" May's demeanor shifted and an overwhelming feeling of happiness lit the room.

"Of course. I could never find myself to get rid of them. They held to much in them."

"When we have some time, I'd love to look at them and tell you all about each one." May wore a bright smile, not even the sun could shine brighter.

"I would love that."

The sound of the television heightened, causing us both to turn our heads. On the screen, an expanded image of Spider-Man was displayed. The caption, "where is he" positioned at the bottom of the screen. Panic spread over me, and before I could comprehend what I was doing, I was out the door and on my way to retrieve the outfit and bow that made me who I was. Crimson Arrow was back.

**************************************

A/N:

Wow, it's been awhile

Wow, it's been awhile. First off, I want to apologize for my lack of updating. School is kicking my butt and I just haven't had the time. These past three days I have been sick, so I was able to get something out there for you. I'm going to try and get better at managing my time, but I don't want to promise anything. Thank you for being patient. Make sure to vote and leave a comment. It is much appreciated! Till next time!

 It is much appreciated! Till next time!