There Was Really Nothing I Could Do Until Then

Jet's POV

~~~

I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty damn shocked to hear that, to be straight I think I might have frozen for about a minute before finding myself capable of even comprehending what he said.

I went to school with him? This was a real stab in the dark here, I've been to a couple of different schools and I never end up being able to remember anyone, not by name anyway. Not to mention, what if I've been completely wrong about everything and in reality this dude is a complete nutbug that likes to act out some weird high school fantasy thing before he murders someone? Yeah, I've seen those murder shows and I've read crime books, I know exactly where this could end up going and it involves my body being hidden in the cement foundation of a new building.

Unable to reply and beginning to freak from my own theories I took a step away from him, towards the ladder...maybe if I'm really quick I could get up there, lock him down here and call the police using Vera's phone.

Instantly he saw the panic written on my face as clear as day and he held his hands up, as if in surrender and walked a little away from me. I would have found that comforting if he didn't still have a gun hanging around his neck and a verified psychopath as a friend keeping an entire bank hostage upstairs.

"Whoa, I'm not gonna do anything to you. I just thought I should get you away from Pax, I have no idea what he'd do if he found out someone I knew on the outside was in here. I mean, he hasn't exactly been on his best behavior towards you anyway. I'm really sorry for what he did in the backroom, I had no idea he'd actually done any of the stuff I'd heard about. Well, I knew he dabbled in some smuggling but murder and rape is a whole different ballgame." As soon as he started talking Gee fell into a babble, barely taking a breath as he explained his friend's behavior.

"Pax isn't what matters right now. I still have absolutely no idea who are." I crossed my arms and for the first time looked him straight in face, time to fake being brave.

"We were in elementary school together, I was really mean to you, especially when I shouldn't have been." He seemed almost embarrassed as he talk ms I felt my well of doubt beginning to dry up, he certainly did seem as uncomfortable as I'd imagine a bully would feel after meeting someone they picked on but it still didn't make him anyone special in my memory. Bully's weren't any new addition or one time thing in my life.

"I got picked on by a lot of people so saying that you were mean to me doesn't really make you stand out of the crowd. Were you the boy who threw away my clothes on school swim day and made me catch the bus home in my swimsuit and a towel?" If he said yes then I'd have no other option than to kill him on the spot, that kid's on my hit list for if I ever get some kind of terminal disease and want to go around righting any wrongs. That had been one very long, very uncomfortable and very awkward bus ride home, I didn't end up going to school for a week after that.

"No, I um," he looked around for a moment as if expecting someone to walk out of the shadows and explain whatever connection we had to me. "My name's Gerard, Gerard Way. You stood up for me once...and my dad hit you because of it. I ended up staying at your house for like, four days." I froze mid-breath and tried the best I possibly could to completely step away from the reality of the situation to look past the gun in his hands, the bulletproof vest and the fact that I was (like it or not) a hostage.

Gradually, bit by bit the memories I had of 'Chris' began to sink in. His eyes were still the same as far as I could tell in the light, he still had that weird fairy nose and when I imagined his hair as something dorky, short and brown, that's when the puzzle pieces all came together. He looked tired and a whole lot sadder than I remember him being, not to mention he was taller than me now but he was still the same kid I remember seeing climb into the back of a big, black car with his little brother in tow.
As a kid I'd counted him as one of my few friends and it just about broke my heart seeing him leave, about as much as it did to meet him again like this.