A Million Reasons

Gee's POV

~~~

Instead of heading straight into the bank we decided to get a coffee first since it might very likely be our last.

Yep, two future bank robbers sitting in a coffee shop, it sounds like a shitty opening line for a joke.
Is this the part where a rabbi and a priest walk in?

Maybe if everything works out fine I could buy a cafe.
No that'd be a waste of time, I'd just screw up and it'd get closed one way or another.

I think I'll just stick to what I do best, fucking up my life.

My hair's fucked too.

In a stupid moment of thinking I should change my appearance for the robbery I decided I'd give myself a little makeover.

A word of advice kids.
Don't cut or dye your hair immediately after snorting an eightball of coke.

I know, I know, on top of being a criminal, an alcoholic and an all 'round fucked up human being I'm also an addict.

Cocaine was my drug of choice, it have me the feeling I was actually happy with myself which was nice while it lasted but it always wore off, quicker and quicker now that my body was used to it.

But back to the topic of my dumb hair.
It'd taken me around two hours of being off my face on coke to cut my shoulder length black hair and peroxide the top half blonde.

In the right crowd it might have been considered cool but I think it's stupid, like me for changing it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

~~~

I was waiting outside the bank, counting down before I went in and started what would hopefully be a successful robbery.

My pulse had shot through the roof and was going so fast I swear I felt like I was going to pass out, it wouldn't have helped that I hadn't had a drink for a week.

I could feel the flask filled with vodka pressing against my side and struggled to resist downing the whole thing in one go.

This was difficult enough for me, being a wasted fuckhead is not what I need right now.
What I need is a fuckin' miracle.

But people like me don't get miracles.
I don't even get a break.

I reached my count of two hundred then walked into the bank, the doors automatically opening and closing behind me.
Like planned I flicked the almost invisible button controlling the power for the doors off and they remained closed as I locked them.

My stomach felt horrible and I regretted drinking the coffee, I think I might puke.

Taking a deep breath I looked up at him, he was already in the bank with the duffle bag and gave me a confirming nod, I'd done alright so far.

I took a couple of steps forward, not managing to focus on anything more than a foot away.

That's when I bumped into someone.

It felt like I'd just touched a live wire or stuck a fork into a toaster.
Electricity sparked through me, so intense it actually hurt and I wobbled on the spot for a moment, getting my bearings.

"Sorry," she said, briefly glancing up at me and I almost fell over from how fast my heart went, making me feel lightheaded.

She's beautiful.
Her eyes are beautiful and her mouth and her hair and everything.
She looked away and continued walking towards the entrance, her long black hair curtaining her face.

"I'm sorry too," I whispered back but I didn't mean the accidental nudge I'd given her.

It was for the hell she was about to go through that was all my fault.