The Start Of What Could Be

Sit up straight, chin up, elbows off the table, balance these books, smile, look interested, do this, do that...

Being a lady-in-waiting is so hard! Sometimes you wished you were normal... Normal like the people who are in the working class.

Some royalty families still call them "peasants" Your family doesn't associate with the those families anymore; they have no respect for others or their people.

When you were younger you overheard your father, Felix, telling your mother, Marzia, how most royal families were a bad influence on you. Your mother agreed with him so you were mostly locked away from people, except on holidays and your birthday. Your tutors didn't count.

At the moment everyone was scurrying around the castle; cleaning and making sure the food was to perfection for the masquerade that your father was hosting to give you a chance to meet other princes who your parents hopes you'll be married off to one of them.

You had a 3 maids helping you get ready, one doing your hair, another your makeup, and another helping you into your dress and tightening your corset.

Your dress was white and made of silk that flowed down to the floor. The top of the dress rested on your smooth shoulders and the sleeves fell to your elbows. The bottom half of the dress was slightly frilly with black roses as it cascaded to the bottom. White for Purity and Black for Elegancy.

Sometimes you feel bad.. And uncomfortable, they're touching your face and body and stuff..

And honestly, you can do all of this stuff yourself. You felt helpless as you watched them vigorously placed their hands on you, changing your whole being.

The Party was only 20 minutes from now.

Once the first maid had finished your make-up she helped the other with your hair, braiding a few strands to wrap around the crown of your head then ending it in the center for a fishtail effect, with a couple of smaller braids on the side. They all laid on top of your wavy, silky hair that flowed down (where your hair stops at).

"____!" A sweet, high pitched voice called out, as your mother entered the room. She was always happy to see you, and you her. "Aw, you're so beautiful!" She exclaims as she gently cupped your face with her soft warm hands.

She politely shooed the maids away and added a few final touches to your hair.

"Do I have to do this?" You whined, knowing your mother didn't want to hear it. You looked at her with sad puppy eyes.

"Your father has spent years planning this day for you!" She gently kissed the middle of your forehead. "Besides, this is a wonderful opportunity to meet someone."

"What If they turn out to be abusive, or doesn't respect me in the way father respects you?" You knew that divorce doesn't sit well with social status.

Men usually don't remarry divorced women seeing that they have to split everything, even though it's not evenly divided; women getting the children, house, car, and half of the men's money, and there was the one whole 'if they do it once, they'll do it again,' thing.

Divorcing a man would dishonor your family bloodline, so it's either take the abuse or make your family look bad.

"____, your father has hand selected these princes. He traveled very far to meet them and your father knows when they are bad humans!" You both giggled. "It'll be fine, trust us."

Knock, knock, knock!

"Your majesty," The head butler popped his head in. "The King has requested for you." He said nonchalantly with a bow.

"Thank you, Alfred." Your mother responded sweetly.

She was so beautiful in her attire. Pink and white flower crown, Pink silky dress that flowed loosely around her slim figure and the shoulders were cut out. The sleeves fell to her mid-bicep. She was like an angel; a goddess.

She always looked beautiful.

Once she left the room, you turned back to the mirror and pondered about your future..

Will you and your partner be like your parents; will they see past the fact you're more than just a women? That you are also human just like them...?

Short Time Pass

"Lady ____, It's time." The maid's soft voice slightly startled you, and somehow you

realized how anxious you were; as if her voice was the poison that ate your confidence. Your heart pounded in your chest.

The maid straightened your diamond choker and helped you put your white mask with small ears on top.

You took a quick look in the mirror. "Oh, Dinah!" You wailed, "What if the prince does not treat me well?"

Dinah was like your personal maid that you confided in, she was like you're walking diary. She was about the same age as your mother, but looked older. To you, she was like the cool aunt.

"What If hurts me?" Your imagination was getting the best of you and Dinah knew it.

"If that shall happen than, I'll just," She smack her hand with the back of the other, the sound of the smack echoed in the room. "Right on his behind!" You both giggled.

She pinched your cheek, "there's the smile! Now go, they're waiting for you!"

You gave her a quick hug and made your way to the ballroom, hoping to slide in unnoticed.

Who Catches your eye first?

A) The man with green dyed hair

B) The man with red dyed hair

C) The man with brown swooped hair