9. Levi

She drove way.

She didn't even want to speak to me.

It felt like I was reliving the heartbreak all over again.

"You caught her off guard, anak," my mother said as she turned the lights of the bakery on. It was still early in the morning, but there was a lot that needed to be done in the hour before the store opened. "Give her time. She'll eventually realize her mistake and will want to talk to you."

"For breaking up with me?" I asked as I picked up a roll of paper towels and spray bottle.

My mom snorted. "No, for driving off," she answered. 

I heaved out a heavy sigh, but didn't say another word. Instead, I walked over to the front windows and began cleaning them.

Within an hour, the bakery opened and Agnes, one of the employees, walked in through the doors. She was a tall seventeen-year-old student with short dark hair. Her parents were friends with mine, so I could only imagine how easy it was for her to snag a part-time position here. Plus, she was Filipino so my mom enjoyed the fact that another employee could converse with other Filipinos in their own language.

"Wow, Levi is back in town," Agnes said, laughingly as she walked towards the back to put away her bag. "Are you here to actually help for once or are you here to just eat another cupcake?"

I snorted as i took a seat in front of the cash register. "I'd watch your attitude, Agnes," I shouted. "Before you worked here, I was my mom's favourite employee."

Agnes stuck her head from the door and grinned. "It's nice to see you too," she replied.

I held out my arms. "No hug?" I asked.

Agnes laughed as she walked over towards me and gave me a quick side- hug. She then playfully nudged me in the arm. "So," she began. "How was your last year at University?"

"It was good."

"That's it?"

"What else do you want me to say?"

Agnes rolled her eyes. "I don't know about you, but if I had the chance to attend University in another state I would be way more ecstatic about that opportunity. Plus, I'd probably have more stories to tell, like-" she motioned to outside the window. "-what is there to do in Maine anymore? I've live here my entire life, and I feel like I've done all that i could here."

I shrugged. "Don't get me wrong, I loved my four years at University, it's just that I don't really feel..." I trailed off, not knowing what I could possibly say to describe what I felt about my experience.

"Satisfied?"

I nodded as I looked at Agnes. "Yeah," I answered. "I don't feel satisfied, like there's something more I could have done with my four years."

Agnes smiled. "Well, that's the beauty of being of your twenties, no? You get to do whatever the fuck you want without your parents bossing you around-"

"Agnes," my mother shouted from the back. "Watch your language! I may not be your mother, but I am certainly your boss!"

Agnes' dark eyes widened and I burst into laughter. 

"Levi! Shout your mouth too!" My mom shouted again. "If there's nothing to do in the store, find something to do!"

"Well, I'm just going go into the kitchen and grab some of the cupcakes to display. I'm assuming you can just watch the counter?" Agnes said.

I gave a thumbs- up and with one single nod, Agnes departed to the back.

Just as I was about to pull out my phone, the front door swung open and I immediately sat up straight. "Hi, welcome to-" I stopped midway when I saw the young woman's face. I almost didn't recognize her at first but when she flashed me that familiar grin of hers, I immediately knew who she was. "Bethany?"