time at the university

- Madiha -

I am amidst the crowd again. A part of it. I find my way through this chaos and on the road in hope of finding a cab.

Today is my first day at the University of Tokyo, where I am learning Japanese Culture and History. When I reach there, the rain has stopped and I am surprised to see more international students than I expected on the campus. For once, I don't feel so scared. However, I don't have any intentions of making friends. The environment is new is all.

During my elementary school, back in Dayton (Ohio) where I grew up, I tried to get along with people, it didn't work. I tried to fit in later on in high school, still the same result.

After a while, I made reading my life and I had never been happier. I came across Haruki Murakami's work, the world of Japanese anime, traditions revolving around cherry blossoms and ever since have been fascinated about the Japanese culture.

People make it tiresome to breath. Loner is a heavy word but I think alone is extremely peaceful and has helped me grow as a person immensely. I don't think I am ever going to be able to blend in with the normal.

"Holy Shit, it's really you again," I hear him. The same voice. I turn, wide eyed and flustered. I don't really believe in co - incidence but right now it does seem to mock me.

"Are you stalking me?"

He chuckles. "No. I go here," he gestures at the campus and winks.

 I nod and massage the back of my neck to loosen my tense nerves and to use it as an excuse to look at other places and not just him. Although, it is rude to not maintain eye contact while conversing.

Now that there are not many people around us and I am not nervous, I notice he is really tall. I have to lift my head up to look at his beady green eyes past the black rimmed glasses and a lightly freckled face. It is so full of life like that of a child and unkempt black hair that falls on his forehead. His clothes are neat, an orange shirt and jeans. 

Orange, what an unsettling color. It's as if he wants people to look at him and cringe.

  I try to recall his name but cannot remember. Something beginning from the letter T, or was it A?   

"What is your name again? I am sorry I forgot," I confess. This has to be the most embarrassing moment of my life. I have never been good at remembering names, contact numbers and math formula. 

"But we just met half an hour ago! Am I that easy to forget?" he asks and though he says it playfully I sense he is offended. His lips wilt downwards a little into a sad smile.

"No, not you. Just your name. I am really bad at remembering names, it gets easier after I spend time with the person," I smile hoping to put my message across.

"Ah, don't worry. I will make sure you never forget this Tadashi Akiyama!" he vows. 

____________________

|| Time and Again ||

My entry for the #Wattys2016

vote    comment   share

I hope all of you are liking the story so far and are curious about how their story is going to unfold as time goes by :)

Thank you for reading <3

love love

Sash