Chapter 9 || Dinner

Okay so it's been a while. I got distracted by drawing and also Netflix but...I also didn't really feel this chapter, if you know what I mean. I don't know, it just wasn't fun to write. That's why it took so long to upload.

Michelle's PoV
"So was I right then? Were they going at it like rabbits, like I thought?"
Asked James as Riley walked into the dining room. Her eyes glanced over the food which I had laid onto the table before pointing to it in confusion.
"Umm...how?"
She asked softly. Even though I'm a guest, I haven't forgotten the basics of manners. I did it. It was only polite after she spent all day preparing and cooking the food.
"Oh, I brought the food in. You were gone for quite a while and I thought I could be helpful and help you serve the food. You don't mind, do you?"
I replied, hesitantly. She turned to me in confusion before giving me a gentle smile.
"Thank you Mitchie.."
She said, walking over and taking a seat beside me at the table. We were opposite John and James, who were eyeing the food in hunger.
"Riles?"
Said James suddenly turning to stare at her. She nodded her head to let him know that she was listening.
"Was I right?"
He asked. Huh? What is he going on about?
"Right about what James?"
Replied Riley, pouring herself a glass of wine and taking a gulp.
"Did Noah inherit our sex drive? You were up their for quite a long time for only telling them about dinner. You sure you didn't walk into something you shouldn't?.."
He teased, a wide grin evident on his face. I watched as John fidgeted in discomfort at the thought of Richelle and Noah well..you know. I turned my gaze upon Riley, her face tinging slightly with redness.
"What-? No..no! Of course not, silly.."
She laughed off, taking another gulp of her wine. Riley? You didn't sound so sure...
"Riles, I've known you for how many years now. I can tell when you're lying.."
Replied James with a smirk. Oh god! Does that mean-? My little baby. What did Riley find them doing? I heard a noise coming out from the corridor, so did Riley.
"Richelle? Noah? Is that you I hear? Come on! Dinners out on the table.."
She yelled behind her quickly, trying to get off the topic. My Richelle and Noah? They've known each other how long now?
"So you caught them kissing or...or did you catch them doing something else.."
Asked James with a cheeky smile, pouring himself another glass of wine.
"No..no. They weren't doing anything it was more about what they were about to do..."
She mumbled, gulping down a big drop of wine. About to do? What does she mean by that?
"Riley? What did you nearly catch them doing?"
I asked inquisitively, watching as John perked up in interest. He was always protective over Richelle. She's a daddy's girl of course.
"Let's just forget about it. They are bound to be here any minute. Ah see what did I just say.."
Exclaimed Riley, watching as Noah tumbled into the dining room. His face was slightly pink as he walked carefully to his seat beside his John-who looked at him with slight anger.
"Where's Richelle?"
I asked inquisitively, confused as to why she was not with him. He glanced up at me in embarrassment before looking down to his plate once more.
"She needed the toilet.."
He grumbled under his breath. Oh. Well I suppose that is a good reason.
"Noah! Look up from your plate, will you? It's very rude.."
Complained Riley, in annoyance. I guess the motherly instinct and ideal of a perfect family has kicked up once more. At the sound of his mothers almost aggressive tone he looked up, directing his attention to a picture in the far wall in front of us. I guess it's a start.
     And then...and then it was quiet. An awkward silence. How did we end up like this? The conversation was in full swing earlier. I could practically feel the oozing heat of anger pouring out of my husband as he glanced in destain over to Noah who was beside him. Oh take it easy on him. It's not all his fault-probably. From the corner of my eye, I could almost see Riley and James communicating with each other without the usual means of opening theirs mouths up and down. From the wide eyes and annoyed expression, I could almost decipher that Riley was telling James to strike up a conversation. And it worked...sort of.
"So the weather we are having. Terrible isn't it. Yesterday..me and Riley.."
He gave a fake laugh, to ooze the tension.
"Me and Riley...had to stop our nightly fun because she kept jumping at the thunder eh! It's horrible when the weather stops you from having se-"
"James!"
Yelled Riley, her face red in embarrassment. Oh James. When she said to start off a conversation I don't think she meant about your sex life. Did you not learn from earlier? I watched as Noah shuddered in discomfort. James coughed.
"Umm..sorry about that. It was the first thing my mind went too.."
He muttered under his breath. Wait! So is he trying to say that sex is always on his mind. Ugh. Men.
"So Noah, my boy!"
James exclaimed happily, moving onto another topic. He slapped a hand on Noah's shoulders to get his attention.
"How was your time with Richelle, did you get to know her a little better?"
Asked James plainly. I watched as Riley choked a little on her wine, placing the cup back onto the table and coughing lightly. Noah's eyes widened as he glanced subtly over to his mother before back to James.
"I...uh..I found out that she...she does dance.."
He mumbled hesitantly. Oh god, I forgot. No. Not about my daughter doing dance. About Riley and James probably putting Noah into dancing as soon as he could walk. He's about seventeen, I remember. He is surely in A troupe.
"Oh that's good! Maybe Richelle can come to the studio one day and train with us. How does that sound?"
Asked James, directing the question over to my husband.
"Great. Just great."
My husband grumbled through his smile. To everyone else it may have looked like he was okay with the idea but to me...I knew differently. He didn't want Richelle going anywhere near the studio. Then it was back to the silence once more, the only sound the clanging of cutlery and rumbling of stomachs.
"Ugh...what's taking her so long. Surely she must be done by now?.."
I mumbled out loud. I'm not usually one to complain but I must admit..I'm hungry. And all this food just laid out in front of us-untouched, is not helping me at all.
"I'm sure she will be here soon.."
Reassured Riley. Ugh I hope so. Suddenly the door to the dining room, slowly started to drift open. Finally! In walked Richelle. Heels in her hands and her face red. Huh...had she been crying.

Ugh I say this at the end of all my chapters...but umm CLIFFHANGER. Right. So this is all I could do, because I kind of just gave up. Sorry. I hope you enjoyed anyway
1248 words