Chapter Two

Shorter than usual. For that, I apologise.

🎀

As the youngest princess, I was thankfully ignored by most. I didn't have the stressful duties my older siblings had, and I was free to do whatever I desired. While I was one of the only ones my mother was able to trap in her game of the court, I didn't face as much drama as my sisters would have, since I was the fourth of a line of princesses.

I didn't specialise in anything. I wasn't as crude as Eliot, intelligent as Freya, charming like Gavin, or anything like the twins. I was nothing interesting, something mediocre, a formality in the ballroom and the semblance of normality in my family.

So why the hell was it that I'm going after my ignorant knight?

I cursed under my breath as the gown I tried to stuff into my satchel rebounded and refused to fit inside. I didn't know how long I'll be out, and I needed clean clothes. I'd have left the packing to my maids but then I realised it'd be best to leave without fanfare. Plus, I didn't think I could face the judgment from the court, and then from the rest of the family.

I bunched up the woolen fabric, folding it and then sitting onto it unceremoniously. With careful fingers, I twisted around the covering flap under my rump, forcing it down and clasping the hooks together.

I let out a cry in success as I looked at my creation. The black leather satchel was something I had bought on my own, when I had sneaked off the grounds and entered the village dressed as a maid. It was embroidered with green on the sides, the hooks being made of bronze. Sure, the middle-aged merchant was concerned as to why a maid was buying such a handsome piece, but the gold that "spilled" on his station was enough to stop the questions.

To accompany the travel bag was a pair of brown leather boots, a lavender travel dress and a pair of linen wrist length gloves. I had to say, I looked great for a quest.

The quest. To find the annoying son of a --

I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes, counting to ten. My cheeks were ablaze, just thinking of the humiliation I would face if word got out what happened.

I could see my father shake his head at me in disappointment, while Mother would probably ban me from court. No one would want to be seen with the Negligent Princess who let the dark forces take away her guardians....

I shook my head. Dan was right. They knew how Heron was. I wouldn't be persecuted because of his own folly, would I?

Well, the annoying voice in my head nagged. He is the handsome Sir Heron. They masses will be more willing weep over the loss of a noble warrior than the loss of a minor princess.

"Princess?" a muffled voice interrupted my thoughts.

I snapped open my eyes, turning towards the closed door.

"Come in, Gia. What's up?" I crossed the room to open it.

The tiny maid kept her eyes fixed to her shoes. "Dinner is served. King Leonard awaits your arrival."

I froze in my tracks. I couldn't wear this! They'd know I'd be going somewhere....

And the only thing keeping me sane was the discretion.

I forced a smile. "Yes, of course, please wait."

With a flurry of skirts I somehow changed from the travel garb into something dinner worthy. Sure they'll know I'll be gone at dawn, but I'd rather not have anyone stop me.