Chapter Three

One of the luxuries about having a big family as powerful but close as ours was our resources.

Basically, gossip.

I didn't care much for it. It didn't concern me. But the eldest of the royal brood were the ones who were engrossed with so many royal duties, that they did travel more than the rest and always heard interesting things.

Xael frowned at Rebekah. "Well I guess we're all glad I'm not a lady but a princess. And if our lovely little brother hadn't stolen my twin blades we wouldn't be in this mess." She glowered at Gavin for greater effect.

Rebekah rolled her hazel eyes. This is what conversations between the two were usually like. Although they were oftentimes forced to work together, they never really agreed on the same things.

The beauty of the family merely left her perch made of Gavin's arm. She extended a gloved hand to Father who gave a kiss on her knuckles.

"Good evening, Father. Please excuse our late arrival?" she asked coquettishly before sitting to his right. Her blond hair was swept into a low side braid a peridot clasp keeping the wave strands together. In a mint green gown, she looked every inch of the perfectly bred lady she was. The only one that turned out right, in the eyes of Mother.

She was my ticket out of here. Possibly.

Father shook his head, eyes seeking out his eldest instead. "Only if Xael would be willing to give her father a kiss on the cheek?"

Xael, who took her seat to his left, frowned before scooting her chair closer to Gavin who laughed at her pained look. "Uh, sorry, Papa, but no thanks. What happened to the no formalities rule again?" Xael's long pin straight, jet black hair was free of restraint, something rare but instead of the gloves her twin wore, her knuckles were wrapped in fresh bandages.

She had replaced her usual leggings and tunic with a forest green gown, yet another rare occurrence, that brought out her green eyes. Only two had inherited the kings eyes, them being Xael and Gavin.

Father looked heartbroken at her rejection, but this wasn't anything new. His heir hated public displays of affection. Besides, he wasn't really offended.

But while he wasn't offended, Mother glowered at Xael instead. "Excuse me," she started sternly, "but who are you to speak like such to the king?"

Xael's eyes flickered to the queen, her good mood sombering. "I'm sorry to say this, Mother, but this is a formality-free zone. According to father we aren't kings or queens or princes or princesses once all gather at the dinner table."

I gave her a grateful smile. "Of course."

Eliot gave in a half hearted, "I second that."

"She's right, and Eliot, for once is wise in agreeing with his sister," Father chimed in gleefully, grinning at us all. He grins a lot. "Although I want to know what happened to your knuckles?"

"Training. I accidentally hit a brick wall. Literally. I'll get it fixed by dawn, Papa, don't worry," Xael flexed her fingers. The kind of training she did wasn't princess lessons. No, I suppose one could say she dropped out of it. Not like she'll forever be a princess though.

"Barbarian," Rebekah coughed, but hid it behind a pretty smile and batted eyelashes.

Gavin held back a snort rather poorly, to which Xael shot him a glare, obviously still mad over whatever had happened.

Freya looked between the three frantically. An all out war could start at the dining table. "Why don't we enjoy dinner?" Ever the sensible one.

Father nodded, and clasped his hands together, not noticing the tension. "Excellent idea. CHEF?"