Weather

The plate was grimy from passed meals, so I turned the sink on and held it under the water. I scrubbed everything off of the plate then I put it beside the sink. The water continued to pour out of the faucet as I grabbed a bowl and began to wash it. Luckily, there wasn't a lot of dishes since only two people lived here, but I still had to dry them. My hand clamped around a white rag then I picked up one of the clean dishes and dried it off with the cloth. When all of the dishes were dried off, I started putting them in the cabinets.
  One of the bowls clanked as I stacked it in the cabinet then I closed the small door. My eyes dragged to the window beside the cabinet, noticing at how bright it was, then my eyes light up in wonder.
  There were footsteps behind me so I turned around, "It's snowing outside again!"
  Dad smiled at me, "That's because we're in Minnesota."
  I nodded, thinking about it as I put the rest of the dishes up. We had been staying at Jean's old house by the lake for almost a month. It had snowed almost every day, and the weather couldn't seem to change from winter to a warm day.
  "Hey Kris, I'm heading out to get some stuff from the store. Can you stay here?" Dad turned to me as he grabbed the keys for the truck.
  I nodded, "I needed to do the laundry anyway."
  Dad shook his head and smiled, "Alright." He hated it when I did the cleaning all the time because I would never give him enough time to ever do it himself, but I really didn't mind doing the chores. "Stay inside until I get back. Understand?" Dad's face melted into a serious expression. This was the only thing that he was really strict about.
  "And lock the door when you leave. I got it," I nodded. We had gone through this multiple times a week.
  "And?" Dad pressed.
  I sighed, "And don't open the door for anyone."
  Dad's smile was back on his face as he stepped toward me and gave me a peck on the top of my head. I smiled as he left the house then he walked to the pickup truck. I plopped onto the couch and grabbed the remote that was on the shoulder of the furniture. The house actually had a TV this time but we didn't get very many channels so I usually just watched movies. I changed the station to DVD and looked at what movie was in the DVD player.
  I wrinkled my nose, "Dumb and Dumber?" I got up to look through the movies to see if I could find something else. It's not that I didn't like the movie but I just over watched it because I watched a lot of movies since there was hardly anything to do. I guess that's why I did the chores all the time just to give me something to do. "Ah-ha!" I exclaimed as I pulled a movie out. "Forest Gump", that was a good movie. I popped the disk in and played the movie, then I walked to the hallway to grab the dirty clothes bin. The water ran into the washer machine as I turned it on, and threw the clothes in after putting the laundry detergent in. I finished it up then I jumped back down onto the couch and watched the movie.
  The lock on the door rattled and soon the front door swung open, so I glanced at the time. It had been a little more than half an hour. "I'm back, Kris," Logan called from the kitchen as he put the bags down to put them up.
  "That was quick," I replied, turning the TV off then jogging to the kitchen. Dad started pulling stuff from the bags then he set a big, plastic container on the counter. I gasped, "Cheese balls!!!"
  Dad glanced at me and rolled his eyes, "I can't believe you like those."
  "I can't believe you don't!" I shot back. He gave me a smirk and I started helping him put the groceries up.
  We finally finished putting everything up so I turned back to the movie but decided to turn it off. The clothes were about done so I waited until the washer stopped. I switched them to the dryer and turned it on then I walked back to the living room.
  "Can I go outside?" I asked.
  Dad nodded then tilted his head to motion toward the door, "Come on."
  I grinned then ran to the door, grabbing my coat on the way out. We stepped outside and the ground was covered in sparkling snow. It glittered under our feet and it seemed to be a few inches deep. We went out the back way so we could see the lake. It was frozen solid but the sun made the ice look iridescent. "Whoa..." I mumbled, awestruck. I bolted off, having trouble running in the snow but that didn't stop me. I turned around and fell backward, my back connecting to the soft cushion of cold snow. The snow felt so light that it was like laying on a cloud... until the cold kicked in. A shiver erupted through my whole body so I leaped back to my feet and brushed the white cover off of me. I looked up at the trees that surrounded us and found icicles decorated on the tree. Their cylinder shapes hung from the snow covered branches. The frosted snow brightened the earth against the sun, making it dazzle gracefully.
  A dot fell beside me out of the corner of my eye, so I stared up. It started snowing again but so lightly and gentle that the frozen rain was magical. I held my hand out and caught a snowflake almost instantly. I narrowed my eyes to concentrate on the pattern and couldn't even feel the cold because I was so mesmerized. The air felt so clean and refreshing that I felt like I could stay out here forever; if it wasn't so cold.
  The view was great, so I turned my head to see what dad thought but he was leaning against the wall of the house and looking at me. I smiled and he didn't realize that I had looked back right away, so when he did notice he averted his eyes. I could tell that he was thinking about something but I didn't know what. I turned my head back around to look at the frozen lake. It acted as a mirror so I could see the trees reflected in the frozen body of water, it gave the lake features.
  "Hey, Kris. Let's go inside, I need your help cooking," dad interrupted my thoughts. The air was freezing as I sighed through my nose but I nodded and followed dad back into the house.
  That night we had chili to eat, which was pretty amazing, then we watched a movie and soon it was time for bed. My stomach was full so it wasn't very hard for me to be tired. My eyes were getting heavy, but the movie wasn't even finished yet.
  Dad seemed to notice that I was getting tired, "Come on. Let's go to bed, kiddo."
  A yawn escaped my lips so I nodded and stood off the couch. I followed dad down the hallway until we stopped in front of a door.
  "Goodnight, Kris," Logan mumbled and gave me a hug.
  His body was so warm that I pressed myself even more into his chest, which made my voice muffled as I replied back, "Night, dad."
  We pulled back and split as we walked to our own bedrooms. Dad's bedroom was larger but I did get the second biggest room out of the three bedrooms total. I changed clothes and slipped into my bed, instantly feeling the warmth of the blankets. The bed was so cushioned, soft, and comfortable that I fell asleep as soon as I closed my eyes.

(Alright! That's the first chapter. How do you guys like it so far? Leave a comment and vote so I know you guys want more! I am still in the process of writing the book so if guys have any suggestions then maybe I could slip something into one of the chapters. Love you guys! And thank you so much for reading!
~~~~~ LL2z)