Road Trip

The sun had gone down hours ago and most of the car ride was quiet. Finally, dad was talking a little more and opening up, slightly. Yes, the car ride was cramped and boring for the most part, but I was enjoying it. It was relaxing, which was a feeling I hadn't felt since I lost my first dad. Everything had been so tight with the whole war and everyone was on edge but being here with Logan was calming and refreshing.
  "Really?!" I exclaimed, but - honestly - I shouldn't have been surprised. "Is that even a sport?"
  "If poker isn't a sport, it should be," dad nodded.
  Although, I shook my head, still grinning, "Oh, yeah. Because gambling is such a good exercise."
  Dad shrugged, "What can I say? I like the game... But it's probably not parental of me to say that, so - if anyone asks - boxing is my favorite sport... Oh, especially if it's a guy so he knows I can kick his-."
  "Dad," I interrupted him, crossing my arms.
  "Right. You're right. There won't be any boy," Logan challenged.
  I rolled my eyes, "Forgot about the whole die-alone thing."
  Dad stopped to think, "So, now tell me about your hobby... thing."
  After I huffing in slight agitation but thought too, I paused and eventually explained, "Candy wrappers... I used to collect candy wrappers."
  "Used to?" Dad narrowed his eyes.
  So, I gave a weak shrug, "Well, the fire kinda burned everything, so..."
  The car was filled with silence except for a yawn that escaped my lips so I glanced at the time and it read 12:03. Like I said, dad was terrible at keeping a conversation up.
  "Maybe we should call it a night," I suggested, figuring he would be exhausted too.
  Dad glanced over at the time and pulled down a road, towards a town. It was dark outside so, luckily, it didn't take us long to find a hotel to stay in. It was a smaller hotel but it seemed nice enough, so we walked toward the front desk.
  "We'd like a room, please. Uh, two beds?" Logan asked the guy at the front desk. The employee didn't look very happy to be working at the place, especially at such late hours.
  "I'm sorry, sir, but the rest of the rooms we have only include one bed. You can get two rooms with one bed, but that will be extra," the guy informed us.
  Dad hesitated so I stepped in, "One room will be fine."
  The employee nodded then turned his attention toward a computer screen to check on a few things, "Okay, and how long will you two be staying?"
  "Just tonight," dad answered and I could see that he was exhausted just by how he replied.
  The guy slid out a keycard, "Second floor, room 212."
  I nodded then took the lead toward the elevator and pressed the button up. The doors opened up so, with the bags in our hands, we walked in the small space and waited. It didn't take long for the elevator doors to open back up to the second, and top floor. Another yawn forced its way out of my mouth so I continued down the hall and glanced at the door numbers until one read 212. I slid the card into the door and it clicked so we opened the door then walked in. The room was small but it was fine for one night, especially since we were so exhausted. I opened my bag and pulled some clothes to sleep in then walked to the bathroom. When I came back out in the pajamas, I saw dad, already changed into some more comfortable clothes, staring down at a small, unpleasant looking chair.
  I rolled my eyes then crawled in the bed and slid to the far side, near the wall, "There is plenty of room. Dad, it is okay if you sleep in the bed."
  Dad sighed but looked relieved that he could sleep on something comfortable. After turning the lights off, he slid into the bed and under the covers.
  A smile of relaxation spread across my face and I rolled over in the bed, "Goodnight."
  Dad hummed an acknowledgment, but - within minutes - was fast asleep. I could tell by his bear snores. It took me a lot longer to fall asleep, mostly because my head was spinning, also I had slept for most of the day. Finally, I was tired enough to fall asleep.

  "Com'on, Kris. I already checked us out, let's go," dad nudged my curled-in-a-ball figure.
  However, I groaned in irritation because I didn't want to get up, "What about the bags?"
  "Already in the truck," he answered.
  I rolled over and kept my eyes closed, "What time is it?"
  "6 o'clock," dad replied, patiently.
  After letting out a whine, I covered my face in the covers, "It's too early."
  Logan was becoming annoyed so he yanked the covers from my body, which made me scrunch up in a tighter ball. Then, he pulled my figure towards him and he picked me up. There was nothing left in the room that dad had to carry - besides me - so he left the room towards the elevator, with me in his arms.
  "You're spoiled, you know that, right?" Dad tested.
  I smiled, with my eyes still closed, "Gee, I wonder who spoils me."
  Dad chuckled, "Are you saying this is my fault?"
  "I'm saying it helps to be your favorite daughter," I pointed out, my head pressing against his chest to block the light of the hotel.
  Dad huffed but didn't deny it as the elevator doors swung open, so he walked through the lobby. Luckily, the front doors were automatic since his hands were full. They swung open then dad walked to the truck. He managed to get the door to the truck open, and he slid me inside the vehicle. When the door closed, I leaned my head against the window and soon felt the car shudder as it turned on. We were on the road for a few minutes before I fell asleep, again.