Bonus (2)

(This is a bonus chapter for you guys since y'all went through such a long wait. Sorry for those that don't like the bonus chapters, the actual next chapter will be posted next week! In this little bonus chapter, Kris is still about 7 which means everyone else is a little younger - for example, Jean will be ten years younger - just so it doesn't get confusing!)

Sick Day

  There was a voice that disturbed my sleep so I shifted around in the bed. My eyes felt like they were being held shut by lead so it stung when I blinked my eyelids open. It took me a few moments to realize where I was but it didn't take me long to notice that daddy was standing in the doorway.
  "Com'on Krissy, it's time to get ready for school," his voice cut through the blurry thoughts that were scrambling around in my head.
  In response, I rolled over away from the light that shined through the door from the hallway and groaned in irritation. It was Friday and we were working so hard in school that I didn't want to go to school! Especially since the bed was so warm and felt like a cloud against my sore, tiny body. Did I mention we ran pacer yesterday?
  There was a quick sigh at the door, "Kris, you don't want to be late."
  Again, I gave another higher pitched moan and buried my face in the pillow. I just wanted to fall asleep and it didn't seem like my eyes could stay open long enough because they felt so heavy.
After a long pause, I started to wonder if he left, alas he finally added, "You better be up when I come back in ten minutes."
  I sighed but knew that he fully meant it. So I, reluctantly, yanked the warm covers off of my skin and shivered at the cool morning air. Then, I grabbed some clothes and quickly slipped them on my body. I packed my bag then flopped back onto my bed and stared at the ceiling fan above my head. While I stared at the texture above me, my mind was racing with thoughts and excuses that I could maybe come up with.
  A knock came from the door so when I didn't answer, the door swung open and I knew that dad had his arms crossed, "Alright, are you ready?"
  I stuck my lip out in a pout, "No."
  So he huffed in reply, "Why not?"
  I shot off my bed and tried to look smaller, "Because I'm sick!"
  Daddy, however, just gave me a sharp look, "Sick, huh?"
  "Yeah!" I exclaimed and quickly nodded my head. "I'm dratasticmally sick!"
  Dad narrowed his eyebrows, "Dra-? Are you trying to say drastically?"
  "Drasticula?... Dra-... dras-...?" I tried then I paused, "I'm really sick!"
  Although he just took a deep breath, "You don't look sick," then he reached over to touch my forehead and raised his eyebrow, "And you're not hot, which means you're not running a fever."
  My eyes drooped and I puffed up my lip, "But I don't feel good..."
  Unfortunately, daddy seemed to be getting impatient as he pointed out, "Kris, it's Friday. You can't handle one more day of school?"
  "Exactly! It's Friday. We never do anything on Friday," I explained.
  Finally, daddy sighed and gave up, "Fine. But if you're sick, then you have to stay in bed all day. Got it?"
  Sounded easy enough! So I quickly bowed my head, "Which means you get to stay home with me!"
  Dad didn't seem too happy as he muttered, more toward himself, "Great, that means I'm going to have to call into work."
  I squirmed around in excitement, "Thanks, daddy!"
  "Now get in bed, since you're 'sick'," he ordered sarcastically.
  "Yes!" I exclaimed then leaped back in bed. When the light turned back off and the door closed, I shot back under the covers. I laid there for a few minutes to let the excitement of staying home pass by then I closed my eyes.

  It seemed like I just blinked then I opened my eyes to find the sun shining right on my face. I groaned and rolled around in the bed but realized that I wasn't tired anymore. So I breathe out a long sigh, although I slipped off the bed. I glanced around my room but didn't find anything interesting so I snuck out into the living room. However, I didn't get far until I heard the silence shatter.
  "Up already Kris?" the voice made my body jump toward the ceiling.
  But I turned to look at my father, "Oh... Uh, yeah."
  Daddy slowly crossed his arms, "Do you need something?"
  "I'm hungry," I pouted, pitifully.
  Dad couldn't help but smile, "Alright, let's get some food in your tummy," after poking my belly, making me giggle and squirm, he took my hand and lead me to the kitchen which I gladly skipped after him. When we were in the kitchen, he turned his body toward me, "What do you want?"
  "Mac and cheese!" I exclaimed as fast as I could get the words out.
  Daddy raised his eyebrow, "Don't you always want Mac and cheese?"
  I puffed my lip out and sighed, "Fine... Do we have any more dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets?"
  "Coming right up," daddy flashed me a smile and turned toward the freezer to begin cooking the small meal.
  Soon, dad set a plate, with an animal on the front as a decoration, in front of me. There was a slot in the plate that was filled with sauce so I grabbed the nearest nugget and dunked it in the ketchup. The meal was so good and small that I finished it up in no time.